CNC Control Computer questions

shooter123456

Registered
Registered
I accidentally fried the computer I was using to control my X2 mill. I have some questions about building a new one.

Will a PCI-E to parallel adapter run in real time like an on board parallel port will?

What should I be looking for in a processor? More cores or faster frequency? Any reason to pick AMD over Intel or vise versa?

I would like to run 3 steppers and 3 quadrature encoders at 200 ipm. I could rapid to 300 with the 12 year old dell I was using before I fried it. I don't know if it would be able to handle the encoders.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, I'm at the stage of finding out about all this new-fangled fiingery machining, but I know that LinuxCNC is supposed to prefer faster cores over more cores - in fact there are a couple of Linux settings to drop back to single-core operation that remove the need for scheduling across the multiple cores and actually make LinuxCNC faster and smoother...

PCI-E parallel adaptors should be as fast as on-board, the Intel chipsets for onboard parallel and serial ports are "legacy" hardware and haven't kept pace with the more modern system buses like PCI-E - the PCI-E parallel adaptor's drivers are probably the crucial point to worry about.

The LinuxCNC wiki has a lot of info on hardware compatibility and might be worth a look at before shelling out on new hardware?

Dave H. (the other one)

Back