CM 12x36

goboughner

Registered
Registered
When I first got my used 12 x 36 Central Machinery lathe, I cleaned it up and thought I would protect it with a sheet. When I uncovered it a few days later it was covered with light surface rust on the ways , chuck and compound. I couldn't believe it. I sprayed the rust areas with WD40 and scrubbed them with fine Scotch Brite pads. It cleaned up great and I haven't covered it since. Occasionally if I leaned on it with a sweaty arm it may leave a stain which I remove with WD40 and SB pad.001.jpg003.jpg

Jerry

001.jpg 003.jpg

Re: Yet another PM-1236

When I first got my used 12 x 36 Central Machinery lathe, I cleaned it up and thought I would protect it with a sheet. When I uncovered it a few days later it was covered with light surface rust on the ways , chuck and compound. I couldn't believe it. I sprayed the rust areas with WD40 and scrubbed them with fine Scotch Brite pads. It cleaned up great and I haven't covered it since. Occasionally if I leaned on it with a sweaty arm it may leave a stain which I remove with WD40 and SB pad.View attachment 83785View attachment 83786

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I have a CM 12x36 like the one pictured. Did yours come with the off colored carriage or did you replace it with another one? The CM lathe I got had been dropped and the carriage has terminal damage. I either have to find another or see about milling up a 5 piece case (would rather replace the carriage case since time is a precious commodity). Thank you for any help or suggestions you or anyone else has. PS-is that a AXA or BXA on your lathe?

Paul

Hi Paul,
I'm not to familiar with the postings on this site so I thought I had the reply to your questions with the pictures but it didn't happen. The carriage on my lathe was repainted after I repaired it when I also dropped it on its face while trying to locate it in place. I had it on pipe skids under a 2x12 and in trying to remove it from the 2x12 by my self it tipped. The carriage wheel, cross slide handle, shaft and apron broke along with bending the oil tray. I tried to find an apron from HF but they couldn't guarantee a replacement would fit. I decided to repair the broken apron with a piece of 1/4" angle iron I had on hand. I cut the casting to eliminate the jagged edges and brazed the piece of angle in the hole. I took the hand wheel from the tailstock and exchanged it with the carriage handle. I had to do some calculations to get the carriage shaft location correct as the break went through the shaft location. I reversed the oil tray so the repaired damaged corner is out of site, that's why it's a different color like the apron and doors.

The quick change tool post is a Wholesale Tool Model #100 Part No. 1643-9900 which I modified with a lever and cap nut so I didn't have to always use a wrench to reposition the compound. I also broke the jaws on the compound where the tool post rides by jamming a cutoff tool in the work. I repaired the jaws after I bought my Index Super 55 Milling Machine.

JerryMill 038.jpg

Mill 038.jpg

Hi Paul,
I'm not to familiar with the postings on this site so I thought I had the reply to your questions with the pictures but it didn't happen. The carriage on my lathe was repainted after I repaired it when I also dropped it on its face while trying to locate it in place. I had it on pipe skids under a 2x12 and in trying to remove it from the 2x12 by my self it tipped. The carriage wheel, cross slide handle, shaft and apron broke along with bending the oil tray. I tried to find an apron from HF but they couldn't guarantee a replacement would fit. I decided to repair the broken apron with a piece of 1/4" angle iron I had on hand. I cut the casting to eliminate the jagged edges and brazed the piece of angle in the hole. I took the hand wheel from the tailstock and exchanged it with the carriage handle. I had to do some calculations to get the carriage shaft location correct as the break went through the shaft location. I reversed the oil tray so the repaired damaged corner is out of site, that's why it's a different color like the apron and doors.

The quick change tool post is a Wholesale Tool Model #100 Part No. 1643-9900 which I modified with a lever and cap nut so I didn't have to always use a wrench to reposition the compound. I also broke the jaws on the compound where the tool post rides by jamming a cutoff tool in the work. I repaired the jaws after I bought my Index Super 55 Milling Machine.

JerryView attachment 83898

WOW, what a GREAT job. Your lathe is only the third I have seen of this model in all my searches. I have been told that an Enco lathe Model:110-2032 is an identical match, just re-badged. Another guy with the Enco is how I got a wiring diagram for the barrel switch, since the guy that dropped it tore everything apart with no pics or drawings (he was mad). Unfortunately my apron received a little more extensive damage, both ends, the front and the top mating surface was also cracked and greatly deformed throughout. Oh well, onward and upward and time to put the Bridgeport to work. BTW, awesome work on your lathe and nice mill. Thanks for the pics and and the help. Paul

Back