Clone of enco compact8 motor question (newbie)

Aususer

Registered
Registered
Howdy all.. my first post... never lathed. Very much a newbie to all this!

I've been given a "craftsman L-450" which with enough digging around I've esablished it's a rough-copy of a compact 8. Still looking for an English manual if anyone has a copy laying around..

It's in good nick - missung lots of pieces- but I've stripped it and am rebuilding now.

Ok... it came without a motor, so that said also no drive sprocket either. I have a valid motor (including a drive controller), but I need to know how many teeth are on the drive shaft (that connects via belt to the 60T drive sprocket). If Anyone has a compact8 and can be bothered to count them, can I get the teeth count and diameter. I can get it milled for the motor I have.
Suppliers for the belts is a little difficult in Australia- does anyone have equiv. measurements for them?

The unit didn't come with a top slide or tailstock so looking for alternatives for that.. can you get these aftermarket/oem?
Can I just put a toolholder directly to the crossslide for now?

Everything has cleaned up now and I have plenty of photos so I'm looking forward to learning about machining.

Fwiw: my background is electronics and paramedicine... the former will help me rebuild this thing (and some robotics/automation I envisage) - I hope the latter is never going to be needed ;)

Thanks in advance everyone.
This is an exciting hobby I've loved reading your threads.
Mike
Melbourne, Australia.

Welcome Mike,
You should find all the help you need on this forum. Please post your progress photos.
Paul

The Craftsman version was an actual Compact 8 not a copy I believe. It's the real thing. Finding parts will be a challenge though. There is a guy on Ebay who has a lot of Emco-Maier stuff, for a price. And the change gear set is still available from Blue Ridge. You can make your own chuck mounting adapters and save a little $.
A variable speed motor would be a good idea.
Mark S.

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I've been slowly working through getting this device cleaned, and washers and parts replaced using the compact8 spare parts guide as a guide, and whilst there are many similarities, there are a few differences too - little things I've found are really only some washers on the compact8 list but not on mine etc.... so its pretty close - (maybe its a revision thing?)
None the less, it has helped me work out that the far right end of the leadscrew appears to have been broken off - so I'm going to have to find a way to sort that out.... a labour of love at this stage (frustration not yet set in at least!)

I was fortunate to get with the unit the 3 steady rests, 3 jaw chuck and the threading gear set - so thats a relief. Still to get a chuck key.

I found someone who had posted a "build a new -extended- cross slide" and had plans so I was thinking of finding a tooling company who could machine me a replacement. http://home.kleppnett.no/thorhansen/m/EmcoC8Topslide.pdf
(I am not nostalgic - I want a functional device - so it doesn't have to look pretty :))

but before all that I have to get the thing spinning first - and that means motor and tooth pulley
The compact 8 parts manual doesn't extend to tooth counts/dimensions so still hoping someone with a compact 8, a bit of paper, and a vernier gauge (Im guessing everyone has those?!o_O) might be able to clear that up for me.

The cleanup goes well... I think I must have used a dozen scotchbrite pads and a bottle of kero so far - 4 different paint colours found so far - but its looking better at least ... photos to come.. (trying to get a before and after too)

hopefully buy steel today and weld up a bench for it.. just trying to work out the dimensions.

Thanks again.
Mike
Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:
You can get the belts from Pro Machine Tools in the UK. It would be far cheaper and better fitment-wise to get the original motor and drive pulley for your machine. It is also cheaper to buy a compound slide for it, too. Iwasamiller is selling both on ebay in the US right now. His prices are fair because these parts are getting harder and harder to find, at least the Austrian parts anyway.

I've seen tailstocks come up on ebay from time to time, as well as most parts you'll need. You just have to be patient, watch ebay and jump when stuff you need comes up.

Here is a Compact 8 that I helped a friend restore recently. It was a total mess when he got it:

Lathe-1.jpg

Lathe-2.jpg

This lathe had the bed replaced, both lead screw supports, drive pulleys and tensioning hub replaced, etc. It is now in mint condition and 100% restored to full function. The thing we learned is that parts are hard to come by and ebay is the best place to find them. I understand you have to ship things so the cost will go up but then again you have a lathe that is actually made to tool room standards. It is vastly better than all the 9X20 clones made in China.

Also, contact Brian at Pro Machine Tools in the UK. He sometimes has stuff in stock that isn't listed on the web site.

Mike if you have a suitable motor and controller already I would definitely use them- I converted my little Atlas to variable speed and it's a pleasure to use.
The Compact 8 drive sprocket is (was) a two-step affair, you probably can find some pictures of the original configuration but you don't necessarily have to copy it.
I believe the belts are a standard L or XL pitch but you should be able to measure the spindle side pulley and determine that.
Have fun
Mark S.

Great news... and thanks to everyone! Was contacted by a forum member who advised its an 18t 050(aka XL). I ordered a Vbelt and toothed belt (170xl050) from amazon... 4 days shipped to Australia... very impressed!

Waiting on a sprocket to be delivered.... the motor (a single phase washing machine motor 1720rpm) has been temporary fit - test run was successful..
Keeping my eye out for a 3phase that will fit as I have a controller but this is a great start!.

Thanks for everyone's help to date! Refreshing to find a great group of friends.

Anyone got a measurement/plan of the compound and tailstock? Hard to find aftermarket and starting to think I'll need to get one of each machined..

Thanks again everyone.
I'll update with photos and details as I learn more..

Mike
Melbourne, Australia

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

Well I've had some progress!!!

Today I turned my first bit of brass!!!!
No accuracy involved but I am so excited and proud!!

I've no compound slide, so it's been replaced with some recycled 35x50mm aluminium billet.
I'm only turning small bits as I have no tailstock...
I've hobbled together a motor/pulley....
But I turned my first first bit of metal ever!

I acknowledge I have a looooooong way to go.. but I am so excited to get this far!
Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.

You are all gems!
(Ps I have video that I'm yet to upload...)

Mike
Melbourne, Australia.

Very good, and wear eye protection- brass tends to "spit" off tiny chips that can jump into your eyes. I know from experience...Also you'll want an inexpensive bench grinder for sharpening tool bits if you don't have one already.
Mark S.

Back