Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

Definitely don't use any quality vise as a press. I recently had to fix the screw for a friend's Parker 975 (also 5" jaw) when he was pressing a bearing with it and decided to add a cheater pipe to the handle. It's a tossup whether the nut will fail, the screw will fail or the casting will fail, but I've seen all three happen.

I did a blog post on restoring a Parker 975 a couple of years ago. The 900 series Parkers were one step below the 800 series like yours so they were a touch lighter for a given jaw width. This vise was 105lbs on a scale. I think you'll find the Parker swivel base is pretty secure.

I had read this prior to looking at Parker vices, I knew a lot of Wilton’s and Reed’s but hadn’t had any experience with the Parker lineup. Very well written, and I have friends in Plymouth so it resonated with me.
Thank you for the insight, I will probably end up trying it both ways. It’s a beautiful base for sure. I love learning about old tools.

Definitely don't use any quality vise as a press. I recently had to fix the screw for a friend's Parker 975 (also 5" jaw) when he was pressing a bearing with it and decided to add a cheater pipe to the handle. It's a tossup whether the nut will fail, the screw will fail or the casting will fail, but I've seen all three happen.

I did a blog post on restoring a Parker 975 a couple of years ago. The 900 series Parkers were one step below the 800 series like yours so they were a touch lighter for a given jaw width. This vise was 105lbs on a scale. I think you'll find the Parker swivel base is pretty secure.

That 975 is breathtaking, fantastic job.

Back