Cleaning Sherline leadscrew

fcs

Registered
Registered
New hobby machinist & Sherline owner here...

Any tips for cleaning and lubing the leadscrew? Well lubing is obvious I guess. I just cleaned the ways and was surprised how black the cloth was.

Frank

I like to use WD40 and an acid or nylon bristle brush. Then I lubricate with recommended oil.

Holding a paper towel in your hand, push a thumbnail into the screw through the paper towel. Then spin the screw and all the gunk will pile up on the paper towel. Find a clean spot on the towel frequently. Lubricate when done.

Which kind of machine and which leadscrew?

If you're talking about the lathe's main leadscrew under the bed then my suggestion is to remove it from the machine, support the headstock end of the screw, chuck the tailstock end in a hand drill and use kerosene and a stiff nylon brush to get any gunk off the leadscrew under power. It will be 100% clean when you're done. Then lube it with a good oil; I prefer Super-Lube oil for this purpose.

Thanks everyone.

Yes it’s the lathe leadscrew. The lathe is bolted to a melamine shelf board so I decided to clean it in situ. I used a toothbrush and VM&P Naptha to clean then after it was dry I tipped the board on edge and lightly oiled it. It wasn’t nearly as dirty as the ways.

Yes what would we do without finger nails?

Frank

Back