Clausing Or Leblond?

Makes much sense Ken and I will add although that Leblond (and it was a Regal) had beefier castings (IE the head, carriage and tail stock) than whatever model Clausing we had, I also remember now it being the most worn out in that "big conventional lathe" area of our shop...I (we) still got general machining work done on it for years (and any of them) back in the days when sometimes nary a machine was open to get in to (LOL)

Thanks gents, but both of the lathes are now gone. I have found a couple others that I'm starting a new thread on. I need ID help.

I dis-like the funky ways they have on their lathes. Every one I'v ever looked at for sale or one needing repairs, the small shear or way surface on the front side of the lathe bed was always worn beyond belief. LeBlond's belief was the front way, the wide one in the very front took all of the brute force from the cutting tool. In theory, that is correct. What they didn't take in account was, what happens when the carriage starts to wear to the ways and gets out of adjustment. That little way surface winds up taking all the load from cutting and starts to wear almost immediately the day the lathe leaves the factory. And along with everyday cleaning of the ways and oiling, which doesn't happen in industry, you quickly wear out the lathe. A Leblond especially. That's why I'm not a fan of Leblond lathes. Ken

Interesting info, the only down side i had seen with mine is the lack of tee slots on the sadle and/or cross slide for line borring and holding things down if milling on it. I will check out the ways and make sure i keep them very oily :)

Stuart

Back