Clausing 85xx or similar small mill needed in NC

bach37strad

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Long time lurker, new member first post!

I want to start making more tools for my band instrument repair shop. I've had my Logan 400 9" lathe for 6 years now and cant see giving it up. The size suits what we do almost perfectly. Occasionally want a qcgb and a longer bed but that's another WTB post...

Anyways it's time I step up my game and finally get a mill. Biggest constraint is it has to fit in my shop, and from what I've gathered on these forum's the smaller Clausings, Rockwells, and Hardinges have a cult following for a reason. Looking for something taken care of, not another project.

I'm in Winston Salem NC but am willing to drive significant and ridiculous distances for the right machine.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to engaging with yall here!

Welcome to HM,
I don't have a mill to sell you but get ready to receive a lot of advice.
Many here will certainly try to convince you to get a larger machine, as nothing less than a 6000lb beast will do!

If space is a challenge for you as it is for me don’t overlook the 1980’s era Taiwan built machines. I was happy to find mine locally for a good price.

John

Welcome to HM,
I don't have a mill to sell you but get ready to receive a lot of advice.
Many here will certainly try to convince you to get a larger machine, as nothing less than a 6000lb beast will do!
Thanks, yall I appreciate any and all you have to give. As for the size of the machine, I would love a bridgeport sized mill but it would take up 50% of the usable remaining floorspace in my shop, whereas the clausing i could tuck in the corner where the drill press sits now. It's my compromise between a "full size" and a benchtop variety.

I would consider a used older ENCO or other such machine, with the caveat that It must be a knee mill.

Found an 8520 in PA. Thanks for the help and advice yall.

Back