Clausing 1500 gear cover replacement.

Coupebuilder

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased a nice shape Clausing 1500 Im cleaning up and from what Ive seen the gear covers on most of these are busted up fiberglass. Does anyone make a replacement before I go and fix mine? Alternatively, I have good connections to a well known fiberglass shop, would there be enough interest in these if I had a mold made and made new covers? Seems like a guy with a vacuum Thermoformer could make them out of 1/8 abs and have a nice part.

What about pop-riveting one together out of aluminum sheet? I think it would look cool, especially if you spot-polished it like they do on aircraft stuff

Theres a lot of countours to them, louvers etc etc. I do a lot of sheet metal work and this would take days to do nicely. I prefer a nice clean stock look to my machines unless I have no other choice. If someone had a new cover for 200-300 bucks I would grab one.

Theres a lot of countours to them, louvers etc etc. I do a lot of sheet metal work and this would take days to do nicely. I prefer a nice clean stock look to my machines unless I have no other choice. If someone had a new cover for 200-300 bucks I would grab one.
Fiberglass is super simple to work with. If your old one is complete but broken up, glue it back together and fill the cracks and whatnot with body fill. Make it as smooth as you can. Then use it as a plug to make a fiberglass mold off it.
Once you have the mold, you can make as many as you want….

Fiberglass is super simple to work with. If your old one is complete but broken up, glue it back together and fill the cracks and whatnot with body fill. Make it as smooth as you can. Then use it as a plug to make a fiberglass mold off it.
Once you have the mold, you can make as many as you want….
Yep, in my original post I mentioned that. Ive been dealing with glass for close to 30 years but its a lot of work to make a mold with quality tooling resin etc for only one part. Ill use tiger hair and mat on this one and see if theres any interest in having them made.

Back