Clamping flat plate to the mill table

Re: Tape

Hi all

Keep in mind that toe clamps cause pieces to warp. Double side tape lets the piece set in a nice neutral state. Tape BTW is just common 3M double stick..... no foam..... total thickness about 0.005" Best when applied to pieces with large surface area. When surface area available for tape is 20 in ^2 or so, the grip is huge.

Cyclotronguy

Vacuum chuck, vacuum pump, hose, valving, rubber to block the holes that are not being used and the last and most important item - lots of cash to buy that stuff.
In the shop we are in the process of pricing and getting quotes for this to be used in the milling center. By the time we do all this, the owners will say - Well you got by the last time without, I guess you really do not need it. ::)

I was only being facetious, really. I know they are costly. I have done some Boeing work, and had to use vacuum fixturing. Works great, when no other way will do at all.

Facetious? It is a valid suggestion. I never took it as facetious. :)

I have been trying to get a vac chuck for years for the BP and/or the lathe. No luck so far. We got the production manager to try again, now that we have a new milling center, it would work better and faster with good nesting jigs and holders. Instead of doing 1 at a time, setup a # and let it fly.

I guess semi-facetious would have been more accurate. I would have to think that a "store bought" rig would likely be out of reach for the hobby machinist. Might make an interesting home project. They do work remarkably well.

Back