[Documentation] Cincinnati Traytop Hydra-shift Restoration

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I purchased a 10x36 Cincinnati Hydra-shift that is in decent mechanical condition, but is about as ugly as they come. I'm guessing that it was in a shop in the 1980s when things got slow and someone was told to paint the lathe. That person didn't clean the lathe first, so that is why I have the blotchy mess that it is today.
Lathe01.jpg

The lathe was well equipped with accessories. Taper attachment, Aloris tool post, two sizes of center rest, follower rest, faceplate, drive plate and micrometer carriage stop.
lathe02.jpg

One of the first projects was to disassemble the tail stock
lathe03.JPG

I am disassembling the parts that need attention, and to make cleaning and painting easier. So far, the belts are the only parts that I see that I need to purchase. (other than paint)
I'll add photos as the project progresses.

lathe02.jpg Lathe01.jpg

Looks like a nice machine. Don't recall seeing many Cincinnati machines That small, mostly the big stuff. will look forward to seeing it come along. Mike

Looks like a nice machine. Don't recall seeing many Cincinnati machines That small, mostly the big stuff. will look forward to seeing it come along. Mike

It's probably small by Cincinnati standards, but it's double the bulk of my Clausing 5914 12x36.

Bulk is definitely a good thing, and Cincinnati never built anything light. My 13" TOS is right at 4k. Mike

It's probably small by Cincinnati standards, but it's double the bulk of my Clausing 5914 12x36.

I've always loved and respected Cincinnati equipment. This thing is huge for being so small! Looks like you have a mighty fine machine there, regardless of the crappy paint job.
I'm envious!:tranquility:
Chuck the grumpy old guy

Applied paint to some of the parts. Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamel HS - Tinted to Vista Green.

lathe04.jpg
lathe05.jpg
lathe21.JPG

That's really looking good, and the color is easy on the eye's. I guess soothing is the word I'm looking for. Mike

I have the taper attachment cleaned up and painted.

Before

taper02.jpg

After

taper01.jpg

I have the lathe almost ready to paint now and am in the process of changing the oil in the head, gearbox and apron.
Jack

Back