Cincinnati Toolmaster 1D Spindle and Quill Lubrication?

jeffrininger

Registered
Registered
Good Day ! I have a Toolmaster 1D: wonderful machine well suited to my level of (in)expertese.

I have all the manuals and have read everything I could find online, but I couldn't find anything about how to lubricate the quill and the spindle bearings.

The manuals have these wonderful diagrams with arrows pointing to all areas needing lubrication, but no mention is made of lubrication for the quill and the spindle bearings.

There is an approximately .5 inch diameter hole above the downfeed gearbox that appears to lead to the quill, and I've been giving that a shot of spindle oil before each use.

However, I have no idea what this is really lubricating (if anything), and I'm concerned that I might be doing damage by not providing adequate lubrication.

If you are knowledgeable in this area, I would appreciate hearing your advice.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There should be an oil cup in that hole.

Disclaimer I have a 1b.

Well if it is like mine, it's there to let you add oil so it can run down the spindle and leak out the micrometer stop then drip on the table or collect on the end of the spindle to fling oil all over the place when running.

Kind of kidding, I think there is a seal that is supposed to stop this or slow it down and it oils the outside of the spindle, I believe the spindle bearing are packed with grease. I haven't had to open this yet but I will at some point if just to repack and replace that seal.

Phil

Phil, please report back with what you find.

Disclaimer I have a 1b.

Well if it is like mine, it's there to let you add oil so it can run down the spindle and leak out the micrometer stop then drip on the table or collect on the end of the spindle to fling oil all over the place when running.

Kind of kidding, I think there is a seal that is supposed to stop this or slow it down and it oils the outside of the spindle, I believe the spindle bearing are packed with grease. I haven't had to open this yet but I will at some point if just to repack and replace that seal.

Phil
Ha ! Made me laugh, Phil ! I have a nice collection of shirts with oil spots "machine gunned" across the front from just that very "feature". Thank you for your kind reply.

Back