Cincinnati 2mi Made In Uk

roverguy

Registered
Registered
cinci-1.jpg cinci-2.jpg Hi from Australia

I have an old Cinci 2MI horizontal mill, the universal model - 5hp single motor . It has a plate on it- MADE IN BIRMINGHAM UK .

I have been looking for a manual for it but no luck so far .

It came out of a school here . Are there many 2MI models around in the USA ?

I will post some pics soon . Regards Mike

cinci-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find!

If you're new to this sort of machine, perhaps a manual is not a bad idea. Otherwise, it's just like everyone else's horizontal. More than once a supervisor has told me "You run this job on that one tonight" and it'd look something like your machine (in a room of 50 similar machines) without manual or instruction.

You must've hired a cartage company to move that thing. It's gotta be 4K lbs or better.

You got away with several premium parts that are often lost. In fact, you have several bits that i need for my similar machine.

You have the table stops. I don't know what happened during my absence from production machining, but those things are GONE. Many machines even have the grooves busted out. Haven't been able to find those anywhere.

You have the overarm support. Those are often lost, though not as often in strictly horizontal machines.

You have the PTO gearbox (at the RH end of the table). This will allow you to run a rotary table or indexing head from the power feed of the machine. Been known to make some interesting and even intricate cuts.

You got away with an arbor full of spacers. Probably original equipment, too. Always a nice touch because they're brutal to replace.

You're missing the cross slide handwheel. You have the vertical crank, though. But it looks like they may have used the crank for both directions.

You even have the overarm star wheel. Those disappear with some bothersome regularity.

Sorry i don't have a manual. There are several on this list that have far more specific model knowledge than myself. Any generic horizontal manual for Cinci of KT would be a good start.

Best of lucks,

Wrat

Mike,
That's a great looking mill you have. They are truly a pleasure to run, like an antique tractor. The sound that they make are more soothing than the purring of a kitten.

It takes some time on the internet, but you should be able to download a manual or two that will give you some information and fun facts. Otherwise, just run it, like Wrat said.

I'll do some digging about some recommended modern oils and lubricants and post it ( if you need so ).
Also, if you could post the serial number of your machine, I could tell you about it (age, type, etc) if the number code is the same as what was made in the states.

Hi Mike,

That looks like a great machine! Congratulations.
Any idea the age?

I have an older model a "3S" with the round over-arm, built in 1916. I put some pictures here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/gallery/albums/my-1916-cincinnati-3s-milling-machine.364/
(hopefully that link works!)

Several nope over a dozen years ago now (holy crap!) when I was trying to get mine running I did find some manuals that were way to "new" for me. I'll need to dig thru my hard copy and PDF collections.

At the time I was also able to get some info directly from Cincinnati; things like where to look for serial number, shipping weight, recommended oils, etc.
I can post some of that info too, when I get home.

On mine the serial number was stamped in the middle of the vertical dovetail ways just below the spindle hole.

Is the spindle a B&S #11?
Did they make a vertical head for that model? Do you have one?

-brino

Hi Guys

Thank you for the replies . You guys do have the experience and the know how of these big old machines like the Cinci MI .

Yes the controls are pretty easy to understand . I do like the way you can pull out the three major assemblies for maintenance .

Thanks Brino, for those manual downloads . I will look up the serial number tonight . The Spindle is actually a 50 standard taper . The 3s is a really nice machine also , looks more like a antique ! Have you got the 3S up and running ? I see you got some change gears with it . 1916 is during WW1 .

I didn't get a vertical head with the MI , wish I did but I will look for one .

I almost bought a UK made Parkinson which came with the vertical head and other attachments , the dividing head .

Yes I paid a guy here to move it for me , it worked out OK .

Mike,

I found this one in my hard-copy collection:
ScreenShot013.jpg
I searched around "the web" for an existing PDF copy and found nothing for free.
A few sites were more than willing to sell a PDF copy of this document that they do NOT own the rights to for $100.
That irks me......so I just started scanning it.
It is 150 pages, I will try to have it uploaded within the next few days.
-brino

Hi Brino

Hey you are a champion ! I cannot thank you enough for doing that .

Yes I have seen the PDF version and it is very expensive . Makes you wonder about the copyright laws !

I guess you have snow on the ground there in Ontario ? Keep warm !

Mike

Okay, I got it scanned and it looks great.......the only problem is that it ended up around 240MB in size.
The upload limit here is 50MB.

I know I had a tool to shrink the size of PDF files (I used it on at least one of the manuals above in post #5).
However, I had a computer die....I do have backups, but apparently have not re-installed all my applications.
I'll have to figure that out again.

-brino

Back