Chuck Size

DMLCV

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know if a 6" chuck will fight on the HF 8x12 I am looking for front changeable jaws and I found a good a good 6" chuck so I was interested if anyone had any opinions.

As the lathe swing on a 8 x 12. Makes 1\2 the swing 4". The 6" then = 3". .if the lathe bed allows the swing, then it should fit. However the mount is the the key issue. Tom

Thanks Tom, Little machine shop has an adapter plate for this, my lathe is 8 x 12 HF and should work I think, I wanted to get front loading jaws. My jaws have a manufacturing problem that does not allow me to reverse them for all the years I have had I never reversed them. I have a 4" chuck on it now and it looks like I can use an 6" chuck from my measurements. Dan

Remember that besides fitting the lathe, the chuck also has to hold work of various sizes. As the O.D. of the work gets bigger, the jaws start to extend beyond the chuck. Eventually they will not clear the bed. At some point as the chuck size gets larger, it will hold smaller work, not larger.

My jaws have a manufacturing problem that does not allow me to reverse them for all the years I have had I never reversed them.

Don't you need a different set of jaws altogether to reverse them, due to the scroll cut on the back of the jaws? I've been looking at getting a new chuck for my 8x18 for this same reason, as it only came with the one set of jaws - seems kind of silly that I'm limited to roughly a 1.5" diameter work pieces on an 8" lathe.

Some have reversible parts that attach to front.

We have one and it is fantastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Remember that besides fitting the lathe, the chuck also has to hold work of various sizes. As the O.D. of the work gets bigger, the jaws start to extend beyond the chuck. Eventually they will not clear the bed. At some point as the chuck size gets larger, it will hold smaller work, not larger.
Bob, I was thinking about that and that has to be a consideration too.

Back