Chuck Run-out

I inspected the inside of my spindle and also indicated it. It has virtually no runout but look what was inside. Would a Scotch Brite pad work or should I use something else?IMG_20160908_160937359.jpg

Scotch Brite and some WD40 would be my choice

Upon thinking about this a bit more. Has nothing to do with run out. I guess if you were turning a 1.5" round piece it would. I'll clean it up regardless.

Try the grey 000 synthetic steel wool (like Scrothbrite) with WD-40 - will take the rust off without altering the taper.

Okay, rust is takin care of. Here is a pic of my chuck. I have the jaws out. Any ideas how to split it apart proper?IMG_20160908_205505894.jpg IMG_20160908_205527081.jpg

The three outer most bolts are what is holding the backing plate on. The three in the center, and there will be some behind the backing plate when it is removed that hole the two halves together. If you take the cam lock pins out, just be sure to measure how far they stick out currently. When putting them back in put them to them same measure. Not all will tighten up at the same place if you screw them all the way in. As far as the jaws, if not numbered, turn them 'teeth' side up and look at the end that goes in first. You will notice one with a 'tooth' close to the end, one a bit farther back, one further back still. That is the order they go back in. One closest first, once it catches put in the next, the one furthest back last. As for checking run out, anything round will work for an initial check. Most 3 jaws will have around .003 minimum, some closer but not the norm. Good luck!

I had the three outer cap screws out. I could not separate the halves. DO I have to take out the cam lock pins also?

for a good rod/pin for measuring run-out I read here somewhere of using an end mill shank, it just doesn't let you measure very far from the chuck.
-brino

I would like to check the run-out of my three jaw chuck. I will need to get a hold of some drill rod, correct?
I plan of taking my chuck apart for a cleaning first. Any suggestions on procedure will be appreciated.
get a wrist pin out of a big block engine. round hard & polished

fixit

I had the three outer cap screws out. I could not separate the halves. DO I have to take out the cam lock pins also?

You should not need to remove the cam lock pins. The three screws on the rim should hold the pinions in place. The three screws near the center of the central hole are holding the chuck halves together. Remove those screws and the chuck will come apart.

Back