Chuck Removal Problem?

One more suggestion with the lathe bolted down I have used a long two by four, as a lever, between two of the jaws and putting the lathe in back-gear try snapping the timber downward. I've been there even if it didn't crash. Some of the guys have bought trade-school machines that had seen all kinds of crashes who may have more ideas. Good luck

Along this same line but instead of "snapping the timber downward" get a 5 gallon bucket and put it on the end of the 2x lever that is held in the jaws. Put it at and angle and lock the backgear then put water or other heavy objects in the bucket. Soak the threads and leave it for a day or two. I don't remember where I saw this but the poster who described it said that in the middle of the night he heard a crash in the shop. It was the chuck loosening up and the bucket hitting the floor.

There is a great product which never fails me for freeing rusted parts, it is called "Kano AeroKroil oil". I have tried others like WD40 and such with no success. I live and fish in the gulf of mexico. I had a pair of wire cutting pliers my son exposed to salt water and did not rinse/clean/oil them (imagine that). I soaked them in a cup of PB-Blaster for a 24 hour period. I then dried the pliers and tried to pull the handles apart, would not move - still stuck. I then put about 4 drops of the Aerokroil on the hinge of the pliers, waited about 10 minutes, pulled on the handles, they started to move and now I use those pliers , they work fine.

For those who find Kroil hard to find. a mixture of 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid works even better than Kroil. From published tests it takes almost half the force to loosen bolts. I have only had to use the mixture once when Kroil would not work and heat was out of the question and it did work.

For those who find Kroil hard to find. a mixture of 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid works even better than Kroil. From published tests it takes almost half the force to loosen bolts. I have only had to use the mixture once when Kroil would not work and heat was out of the question and it did work.

I switched from Kroil to ATF/acetone about a year ago when the gallon of Kroil my dad bought in the 1990's ran out. Which one is more effective? I can't say. But I will say that ATF/acetone is effective enough that I haven't bothered looking for more Kroil.

I have Liquid Wrench, Kroil, 3-in-1 Penetrating Oil, and a Blue Wrench.

Good idea! I gently warmed the chuck with a propane torch to see if that would help. It didn't but the chuck is off now.

Looks like the topic of conversation switched to freeing up stuck things in general so I threw in the Blue Wrench. I wouldn't want to use that on the chuck though.

Good idea! I gently warmed the chuck with a propane torch to see if that would help. It didn't but the chuck is off now.
Looks like the topic of conversation switched to freeing up stuck things in general so I threw in the Blue Wrench. I wouldn't want to use that on the chuck though.

My rule of thumb: The amount of force applied is inversely proportional to the desire to reuse the device.

Back