Chuck guard pm 1340

Howardd

Registered
Registered
Im looking for a chuck guard for my PM 1340 lathe. I remember seeing a photo of someone's 1340 lathe with a clear plastic guard on this site.

Thanks

Howardd

It might have been "mksj", I believe Mark has one.

You could probably get one free from one of the many people who have removed them from their lathes...

I use a Flexbar model 13062 Latheguard - LARGE for 12 to 16" lathe size. It is polycarbonate so will not shatter like acrylic if something lets go. Significantly reduced the splatter that was going everywhere. I made a mounting block off the back (mounts in the old light mounting holes), but I have seen them also mounted to the headstock. Moved the light to the center of the back splash which is much preferred and keeps the light from getting in the way. You need to mount the light base to a larger/longer L or box plate as the back shield is very thin and flexible.

Love the splash shield, really cuts down on the mess and it is big enough that it doesn't get in the way. YMMV.
20170415_081617.jpg

Seems to be two very different schools of thought on this item. Most appear to not like them but I can see the benefit. Did you install it with the stop interlock?

I like the one Mark has on his 1340. I dislike them personally (mine did not come with one), but 'may' someday put one on to control the splatter I get right after oiling my big PBA chuck. :D

My lathe did not come with any interlocks and I see no reason to have any, they are for the idiots in this world that have no common sense. The interlock requirement and that most chuck guards are very obtrusive/obstructive to use, is probably the most common reason for people to toss them and bypass the interlock(s). Since the Flexbar is totally clear and allows a lot of working room underneath it, I find it a great asset, especially when I need to get close to see what I am doing. I would not do that just with safety glasses and unless you wear goggles, a few chips always seem to have a way to get close to your eyes. I do not always use the shield, but when I am using any kind of cutting fluid or I have a lot of hot chips flying all over the place, I would much prefer using the guard as opposed to having them impale my face and upper body. The shield comes off with one knob and it is often covered with oil and chips, spray it with the garden hose to dislodge the chips and then use some soapy water and good to go again. To each their own.

My lathe did not come with any interlocks and I see no reason to have any, they are for the idiots in this world that have no common sense. The interlock requirement and that most chuck guards are very obtrusive/obstructive to use, is probably the most common reason for people to toss them and bypass the interlock(s). Since the Flexbar is totally clear and allows a lot of working room underneath it, I find it a great asset, especially when I need to get close to see what I am doing. I would not do that just with safety glasses and unless you wear goggles, a few chips always seem to have a way to get close to your eyes. I do not always use the shield, but when I am using any kind of cutting fluid or I have a lot of hot chips flying all over the place, I would much prefer using the guard as opposed to having them impale my face and upper body. The shield comes off with one knob and it is often covered with oil and chips, spray it with the garden hose to dislodge the chips and then use some soapy water and good to go again. To each their own.
Thanks, I see your point. I will follow your lead with a similar install.

Back