Chuck adapter plate

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys
Just thought you might want to see a few pics of the chuck adapter plates Ive machined up for my Sidney lathe. This lathe has whats known as the L-1 spindle. Getting these things is not easy, and expensive at best. I have allso drilled a second
pattern in the smaller adapters, so I can bolt them down on my 12 rotary table as well.

This method could be used on most any lathe. For the guys with a threaded back plate, this way could make it much easyer to get that new chuck bolted up , and makin chips. In the pics the hub you see is the L-1 hub that mates to the spindle, and the plate bolts to that. The hub shown is 8 inch, and my Bison chuck is a direct bolt up to it.

L1chuckmount01.jpg

chuckadapter03.jpg

chuckadapter02.jpg

12inch3-jaw02-1.jpg

12inch3jaw05-1.jpg

12inch3jaw04-1.jpg

12inch3-jaw-1.jpg

These pics are of the adapter plate for the 12 inch TOS chuck
More to come

Paul

Here is a few more of adapters for smaller chucks

3jawadapter01.jpg

12inch3jaw05.jpg

10inchchuck02.jpg

10inch3-jaw.jpg

boltpattern01.jpg

boltpattern02.jpg

boltpattern03.jpg

boltpattern04.jpg

6 inch and 10 inch chucks with adapters in these pics

Thanks for looking
This is just one way of adapting a bigger chuck to a smaller back plate. or a smaller chuck to a bigger back plate, all depends on what ya need!

Paul

author=chengdave2003 link=topic=1789.msg11110#msg11110 date=1303227974
There's something about saving hundreds of dollars by doing things yourself!
Dave
Yes, this is much cheaper to do.
I have found a supplyer that has given me a good price on L-1 hubs new. But ive been waiting for a few months for them to come across the ocean . Talk about slow boat from china.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. How about some more pics of that Sidney. I have ran a few different ones over the last 35 years...Bob

author=mnmh link=topic=1789.msg11173#msg11173 date=1303247794
Yes, more pictures of that gorgeous lathe please. :D

Ed

Thanks guys

There is a few more pics of the Sidney Lathe over in general
Its in a thread gears & gearcutting on a mill.
Should bring back a few memorys for ya Ed.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures of the L-00 mount do not appear to be available any more.
Would you be able to send some to me ?

Hi Guys
Just thought you might want to see a few pics of the chuck adapter plates Ive machined up for my Sidney lathe. This lathe has whats known as the L-1 spindle. Getting these things is not easy, and expensive at best. I have allso drilled a second
pattern in the smaller adapters, so I can bolt them down on my 12 rotary table as well.

This method could be used on most any lathe. For the guys with a threaded back plate, this way could make it much easyer to get that new chuck bolted up , and makin chips. In the pics the hub you see is the L-1 hub that mates to the spindle, and the plate bolts to that. The hub shown is 8 inch, and my Bison chuck is a direct bolt up to it.

Send Paul a personal message and see if you get a reply. He maybe willing to fix the links to his pictures.

Back