Chop Saw Repair

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Actually I finished this a while back but just found the pics. I bought a carbide aluminum cutting blade for my Delta 36-220 chop saw for cutting stock for projects. It worked great until I miscalculated the overlap required for the stock I was cutting (the saw came with rubberized plastic fences and a plastic table insert around the blade). The cut off end of the inch and a quarter square stock bound between the blade and the less than rigid fence, shot out the back, off the closed metal overhead door, the ceiling, and finally the carbon fiber intake cover on the one off hand hammered aluminum tank on my Ducati. After I had depleted my reservoir of colorful expletives and had time to be thankful it was the tank and not my head it last banked off of, I decided to replace the now broken fence and plastic table insert with aluminum (the insert had melted when I cut some heavy steel tubing with a fiber cut-off blade to roll my mill in place when the forklift wouldn't go under the door).
1.jpg
2.jpg
After cutting the fences out of quarter inch x three inch stock, drilling, countersinking and mounting them, I roughed out the 3/16th's aluminum table insert on my wood bandsaw, and sized it to fit the slot on the mill.
3.JPG
Next, I taped the original to the aluminum piece, and radius-ed it on the disc sander and slotted and drilled it in the milling vise. I faced the insert with a fly cutter to pretty it up.
4.JPG
Here it is all tightened down.
5.JPG

Great Upgrade!
-brino

Sorry about your tank.. That had to hurt.
Looks like a nice upgrade.

The calamity I see will be the board underneath getting burnt and catching fire. Metal chips get hot.

OK, everybody is missing the important stuff here.

What model / year Ducati do you have and did it get hurt? Pictures please!!
(I ride a Duc, but no hand hammered tank. Just an old boring Multistrada)

Nice where is this mill,
dlane: Sorry for the late reply. I've attached a picture of the Jhead next to the Cutmaster lathe. I have some serious bandsaw envy! would love to have your DoAll, but there is very little space left in this nearly 100 year old garage.IMG_0348.JPG

See. Right there. He is teasing us again.
"I've attached a picture of the Jhead next to the Cutmaster lathe."
But not a word about the bike in the foreground. Is that the Ducati (doesn't look like it but . . .)? Back up a little and give us a look at the mill and the bike!
PS Nice picture on the wall. Not often you see a motorcycle in a drift leaned over like that!
Oh yeah. Your mill looks pristine too. :congratulate:

OK, everybody is missing the important stuff here.

What model / year Ducati do you have and did it get hurt? Pictures please!!
(I ride a Duc, but no hand hammered tank. Just an old boringMultistrada)
Hi Groundhog. It's a Monster. Latestmods.jpgIt's pretty old now (94). A low-side with only cosmetic damage totaled it several years back, so I took the money and and applied it toward modifications. One thing led to another: 944cc kit, Nichols aluminum clutch basket and flywheel, titanium timing pulleys, Keihin 39mm flat-slide carbs, 749S front forks and carbon fiber fender, carbon rear fender, MPL billet clutch pressure plate and cover, Barnett aluminum clutch stack, Earls stainless brake and oil lines, aluminum tank and seat cowl, CycleCat rear-sets, Machessini magnesium wheels off of a racing 888, Penske clicker shock, and a billet aluminum shock mount, AutoMeter electronic gauges, upgraded Brembo Brakes and reservoirs, Ducati Performance 50mm stainless exhaust, Arrow titanium steering damper, eliminated the air/battery box and replaced with a tigged up aluminum one and pod air filters. It all started with a license relocation kit an sorta got out of hand :) . About ten years in the making. The Multistrada looks like a ton of fun, but I'm 5'5" and would need a stepladder to mount. I attached a pic of the Monster

Back