Choosing a DRO for a mill

Your only regret buying the 3-axis DRO is you didn't do it sooner. Lost mine to cold weather (unheated shop) last winter and went back to hand wheels. Hated it enough that I now leave a heating pad on the DRO through the winter.

Bruce
Oh man I didn't realize that's an issue!!!

I think mine (Sino or Sinpo head) is rated to 32 F. It was under 20 F in my shop, quick job so I turned the heat on as I walked in and started working instead of 45 minutes before. Hands get really cold, just hold them over the propane heater to warm up then continue. Curiously, I have the same style DRO on my G0709 lathe and it worked fine without added heat. You won't have any problems in New Mexico.

Bruce

Oh man I didn't realize that's an issue!!!
Yes, electronics can be permanently damaged by very cold temperatures. I found out the hard way, I stored a flat screen TV through the winter in an unheated building, in the spring it didn't work. I checked the spec, it said maximum cold storage temperature -4 deg. F. I checked the local weather history and sure enough the record low that winter was -6 deg. F...

I'm running a Mitotoyo two axis DRO on my mill and have been very happy with it so far. It has magnetic scales
and was installed by me. I'm using a Mitotoyo readout on the quill as well . The shop is heated all winter
since winter temperatures usually see minus 40 degrees which happens to be the same in Farenheit or Centigrade.
This brings me to wondering why electronic equipment fails in the cold. I expect the electrolytic capacitors may
be susceptable to the cold but not sure on that. Maybe someone will have an opinion on reasons that electronic
equipment is subject to failure in cold temperatures.

I'm running a Mitotoyo two axis DRO on my mill and have been very happy with it so far. It has magnetic scales
and was installed by me. I'm using a Mitotoyo readout on the quill as well . The shop is heated all winter
since winter temperatures usually see minus 40 degrees which happens to be the same in Farenheit or Centigrade.
This brings me to wondering why electronic equipment fails in the cold. I expect the electrolytic capacitors may
be susceptable to the cold but not sure on that. Maybe someone will have an opinion on reasons that electronic
equipment is subject to failure in cold temperatures.
Hi Cathead,

Where did you find your magnetic scales. I see people talk about them but haven't found a source to buy yet.

Thanks
Glenn

Hi Cathead,

Where did you find your magnetic scales. I see people talk about them but haven't found a source to buy yet.

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn,

My Mitutoyo magnetic scales came from Can-Do Machinery Sales in Chatsworth, California. Phone: 1-800-532-2636.
They have a nice web site and were easy to deal with. You can find the site with a web search and look it over.
I have had zero problems with my Mitutoyo digital readout and have been using it for about 4 years. I will say that
it took at least a day for the install and involved a few custom made machined parts. More than likely, that would be the
case with most any brand of DRO.

Hey guys sorry it took so long to get back to ya. That's my life story thou, I'm gone for a month at a time for my job. Anyway, I got my dro installed!!!! I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning. Here are some pics, I installed it the best I could for someone who has never done anything like this before. If something doesn't look correct please tell me.

8WrSL3d.jpg

Back