Choosing a DRO for a mill

Geerbangr

Registered
Registered
Hello fellas, as some of you know I've picked up a Enco 20" benchtop mill. I'd like to install a DRO but I'm not exactly sure how to go about purchasing the correct one. Do they make different size DRO's for different size mills? I've watched several YouTube videos on the installation and it doesn't appear to be too painful of a job. I can only imagine how much easier to read a DRO versuses the dials on the machine. Any input would be greatly appreciated fellas.

They make different size scales to fit the different machines. Often you can pick the sizes you want for the same pricing when you buy a DRO package.

I've installed DROs on both mills and lathes at our site and it was fairly easy, mostly machining brackets for our particular machines. We used the products from DRO Pros (http://www.dropros.com/). The folks there are really knowledgeable and able to help you pick the correct size for your machine. Just tell them what you want and what machine you have and they will suggest what is right for you. If you go with the magnetic version you can actually cut the slides to the exact length for machine yourself.

The DRO Pros website has lots of good information and their prices are about as good as you can get from a US vendor. A number of people have ordered the glass scale DROs from Chinese vendors and were happy with the results. I would guess that all the glass scales come from the same manufacturer. The big difference would be the amount of support that you feel you need. A US vendor is more likely to give you immediate support when needed. On the other hand , you can probably come in at about half the price if ordering from China.
If you search this forum, you can find those members who have ordered from China for more information.

Hey guys thanks for all the kick ass info!! I emailed the folks at dro pros for a unit that'll suit my needs. I like the fact that I have someone to contact about any issues I may have with install or setup and I don't have to bug you all. I'll keep you guys posted with some pics when I get it together. Thanks again for the help! A fine bunch around here!!

Just as an update for you guys that pointed me in the right direction, I bought a dro pros el400 3 axis system for my mill. Hopefully get to install it this weekend.

Your only regret buying the 3-axis DRO is you didn't do it sooner. Lost mine to cold weather (unheated shop) last winter and went back to hand wheels. Hated it enough that I now leave a heating pad on the DRO through the winter.

Bruce

Back