Chip Pan for Smaller RF Clone Mills (Jet 15 etc)

yendor

Active User
Registered
For those of us whose stands on these smaller mills didn't come with a Chip Pan.

I've found what looks to be an interesting solution.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-26-x-2-1-4-deep-aluminum-roast-pan/407ABP1826.html

It's a 26 x 18 x 2-3/16 Commercial Aluminum Baking Sheet Pan.

By my measurements it will fit under my Jet JMD-15 with approx. 2-1/2" overhang left and right & 3-1/2" to the front (assuming I mount it favoring the front).

This would also work for all those mini-mills out there as well.

Usually when milling chips seem to fly to the side or behind the machine, I'd be interested in hearing how well these work for a mill, as mills usually don't come with chip pans. Would be excellent for a flood coolant setup.

Thos aluminum baking pans are nice & thick. I used one for making a pull out chip pan on my old bandsaw.

th_Img_7884_zps96d73e92.jpg

How big is the base on your mill? 26 x 18 sounds kind of small. The pan that cam with RF-45 style mill is 33x24 & it only sticks out like 3-4" from the base. Although it does catch some chips & I don't really think of it as a chip pan as Like Andre stated, chips do usually fly. I think of my pan as just a coolant catch pan as it has a drain on one corner for the coolant system.

You could also use oil drip pans found at any auto parts store or Walmart for much cheaper & larger in size. I used to use one for my old mini lathe but I later changed it out for a dog kennel pan that has a bigger lip than the drip pan. However these are much thinner than the baking pans & is good only to use if the mill is sitting on a bench top of some sort.

th_Img_6335.jpg

th_Img_6335.jpg

th_Img_6335.jpg

th_Img_6335.jpg

Thos aluminum baking pans are nice & thick. I used one for making a pull out chip pan on my old bandsaw.

How big is the base on your mill? 26 x 18 sounds kind of small. The pan that cam with RF-45 style mill is 33x24 & it only sticks out like 3-4" from the base. Although it does catch some chips & I don't really think of it as a chip pan as Like Andre stated, chips do usually fly. I think of my pan as just a coolant catch pan as it has a drain on one corner for the coolant system.

You could also use oil drip pans found at any auto parts store or Walmart for much cheaper & larger in size. I used to use one for my old mini lathe but I later changed it out for a dog kennel pan that has a bigger lip than the drip pan. However these are much thinner than the baking pans & is good only to use if the mill is sitting on a bench top of some sort.

th_Img_6335.jpg

Will, do you have any 6 jaw drill chucks? :) I have 6 jaw envy!

That pull out swarf tray for the saw is real sharp, I use a bin that I set on the little shelf there. Keeps falling out though, might have to bend up a tray and make something like you did.

Very nice.

th_Img_6335.jpg

th_Img_6335.jpg

th_Img_6335.jpg

Will, do you have any 6 jaw drill chucks? :) I have 6 jaw envy!

That pull out swarf tray for the saw is real sharp, I use a bin that I set on the little shelf there. Keeps falling out though, might have to bend up a tray and make something like you did.

Very nice.

Thanks Andre! You mean extra 6-jaw chucks? Unfortunately no, I sold the 2 extra ones, regretting it though, I should have kept both. I only have the Bison 6-jaw I use on my lathe & a that China 6-jaw that I use for my RT.

EDIT: Oh, you said drill chuck! Haha, I never even thought of that! If one exists, then I want it, just to have it! ;)

Well....if you have 6-jaw envy, join here (hit group tools, then join)! :)
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?groupid=31

Yeah I used to just set a cardboard box at the front of my 4x6. Caught most of it but still made a mess on the floor and the middle storage tray. I loved that pull out tray, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Andre! You mean extra 6-jaw chucks? Unfortunately no, I sold the 2 extra ones, regretting it though, I should have kept both. I only have the Bison 6-jaw I use on my lathe & a that China 6-jaw that I use for my RT.

EDIT: Oh, you said drill chuck! Haha, I never even thought of that! If one exists, then I want it, just to have it! ;)

Well....if you have 6-jaw envy, join here (hit group tools, then join)! :)
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?groupid=31

Yeah I used to just set a cardboard box at the front of my 4x6. Caught most of it but still made a mess on the floor and the middle storage tray. I loved that pull out tray, I highly recommend it.

I think the most jawed drill chuck is the Wahlstorm fully automatic drill chuck, it cam be tightened and loosened without turning off the spindle. It has 4 jaws...

I think the most jawed drill chuck is the Wahlstorm fully automatic drill chuck, it cam be tightened and loosened without turning off the spindle. It has 4 jaws...

Interesting I had no idea they had 4 jaws. At one point I was trying to get one of those Wahlstrom chucks just to see how they worked. They make boring heads similar to them where you can also adjust them without turning off the spindle (like for facing). I kept getting out bidded & those adjustable boring heads go for big money!

Interesting I had no idea they had 4 jaws. At one point I was trying to get one of those Wahlstrom chucks just to see how they worked. They make boring heads similar to them where you can also adjust them without turning off the spindle (like for facing). I kept getting out bidded & those adjustable boring heads go for big money!

A few others make those heads, they are called boring and facing heads I believe. The Wahlstorm chucks have a knurled ring that you grab (free floating) and pull down to release, and push up to close. They are handy but don't grip super strong.

The 4 jaws are great for tap shanks, grip the square boss lightly then when you reach the desired depth lift up on the drill press quill. When you lift up, the jaws disengage the tap shank and immediately stop driving the tap. Handy chuck, but not always practical.

Back