[Documentation] Chinese DRO

Four Corners

Registered
Registered
I bought a 3 axis and 2 axis DRO setup from the same seller on eBay. I would have bought them from someone more local, if I could have afforded to.

I'm actually very pleased with the units, for the most part. Although the 2 axis display and 3 axis display are completely different from each other (notwithstanding the number of axes that they display) they have the same product name and variations on the same manual. It's the manuals that this post is about. They are the very worst Chinglish crap I have ever come across. There simply is no excuse for rubbish like that. At first I chuckled at the rediculous translations, but now that I want to use the functions I find myself being less than amused. Aggravated and irate would be closer to the mark. I'll include a few pictures of the pages for your amusement.

Does anyone know of a source of generic information for DRO functions, that's actually intelligible? I'm sure most DROs functions are similar from all manufactures (of which there are probably only a small number, mostly in China).

If there isn't a generic manual, perhaps we owners of these things could combine our knowledge to compile one, and put it online here as reference material.

Specifically, I was trying to work out how to use the feature that allows you to recover your position if there is a power failure and the x,y and z positions are changed during that time. I think that's a feature at least. The useless manuals I have don't even talk about that the Ref button (which only one of my displays has anyway!!!).

I would shred the manuals and use the bits as bedding for my kids bunnies, if I could be sure the paper wasn't toxic to them.

1491423693144-329840213.jpg

1491423810519-404424718.jpg

Part of the price you don't pay for a cheap Chinese DRO is the manual. Not implying they are junk, just stating fact. You will need to find the information for yourself, and you will be paid handsomely for doing so rather than paying a LOT more for the same DRO with a better manual from a USA source. I would start out with a web search on "(brand name and model of DRO) manual explained" and see what you find...

As far as recovering position/data following a power loss, most won't unless they are an Absolute style scale. For the functions, DROPROS has quite a few YouTube videos on how to use DRO functions. I'mguessing the symbols, layout, and functions are similar.
One option for power losses would be to get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) from Amazon for less than $60. Plug your DRO into the UPS and it will keep them powered during power outages.

As far as recovering position/data following a power loss, most won't unless they are an Absolute style scale. For the functions, DROPROS has quite a few YouTube videos on how to use DRO functions. I'mguessing the symbols, layout, and functions are similar.
One option for power losses would be to get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) from Amazon for less than $60. Plug your DRO into the UPS and it will keep them powered during power outages.

Thanks for the DROPROS suggestion. I'll check that out. I would have bought my gear from them, happily, but shipping things like that up here is too expensive to consider. The UPS is a great idea. It's possible my scales don't have that feature. What I was hoping to avoid was the problem if intentionally switching the DRO display off and then (for whatever dumb reasons) twiddling the handles and moving the axes. I guess I'll have to not do that (again).

I'm sure it takes just as much time to write and print those crappy manuals as it would to do it properly in the first place. Gets under my skin good, that kind of thing does. You can probably tell.

I know what you mean. Years back, I bought a combination Shower tub with sauna and hot tub. It to came with a Chinglish manual, glad the electrical connections were color coded or I would have never got the thing together.
FYI, if you decide you want a "Loss of Power" proof DRO in the future, the only scales I know of that will do this are the Absolute type scales. They aren't completely fool proof since the controller/readout can still lose temporarily stored points, but the absolute position will not. The scales are coded, based on resolution, with a unique code for each position. The only "CHEAP" sets I know of are the ones from iGaging. They have 2 models that are the Absolute type, both were the magnetic scales. The Absolute DRO (no longer made, but some still available) and the Absolute DRP Plus models. The literature that comes with them are even more worthless than what you have. I contacted them directly trying to see if they would tell me the type of protocol the scales use. Turns out, they knew less than I did about them. They buy the scales from China, repackage, and ship them out. Wouldn't even tell me who their supplier is so that I could try contacting them.
Neither are a true DRO system, they have individual displays for the scales, but they can be connected via an App based DRO displays like Touch DRO (http://www.yuriystoys.com/) although the earlier model (Absolute DRO) currently will not work withy this system. The early Absolute DRO model was the newest model scale they had available when I bought mine. I'm still trying to hack the protocol they used for the scales to make them work with the App based DRO display.
There are other models of Absolute type scales out there, but they are pricey, $2000+ for a magnetic type 3 axis set-up. Although, DROPROS is advertising a set made in India (EMA21). They are available for pre-order, but no specs or pricing at this point.
Either way, using a UPS to keep a DRO powered is the only fool proof method I know of to not lose position. Just make sure the UPS has enough power to supply the needed power for the expected longest power outage. Simple capacitive scales require little power and you can make a back-up power supply with a couple AA batteries that will power them for months. Quadrature and other styles use a bigger processor on the display that require a lot more power to operate.
Bottom line, find out what the power rating for your system is, you can multiply the amps x volts, to get watts. This will be the approximate power draw per hour, multiply the watts (volt amps) times the expected power outage duration you desire to cover, and then buy a UPS with a rating that will meet this or more (ideally more).

My older Mitutoyo digital readout has a battery backup built in. It does work as long as you don't move the table on the mill when it goes out. And even with out a power surge, It'll hold last numbers when turned back on. Ken

Back