Chinese Drill Chuck Disassembly?

TIGL

Active User
Registered
When I bought my mini mill many moons ago, I got this 1-13mm drill chuck. It served me well but I replaced it with a 5/8" chuck this past weekend. I still like the old one but it's kinda gummed up and I want to tear it down and clean it. Any idea where I should start? It looks like the sleeve is all one piece and I tried placing it jaws up on a vice to press the sleeve off the front but no luck. I figured I'd ask before I trashed It wailing on it any more with a dead blow hammer.

Thanks!

untitled.jpg

OK, sounds like I just need to use more force. Thanks!

I used one of those cheap 1 ton table top rack and pinion arbor presses on my chucks.

It worked fine up to a 14N, which is pretty big. The 16N I had to move to a hydraulic arbor press.

It sounds like you are gripping the sleeve in a vise. That would just increase the amount of pressure to push the core of the chuck out. Be sure you are supporting the sleeve on the end. I have a set of rings that the chucks fit into when disassembling them.

I used one of those cheap 1 ton table top rack and pinion arbor presses on my chucks.

It worked fine up to a 14N, which is pretty big. The 16N I had to move to a hydraulic arbor press.

It sounds like you are gripping the sleeve in a vise. That would just increase the amount of pressure to push the core of the chuck out. Be sure you are supporting the sleeve on the end. I have a set of rings that the chucks fit into when disassembling them.
I had the chuck just resting on top of the vice with the jaws wide enough that they were just supporting the sleeve

Frikkin china. I (gently) opened the chuck up with the hydraulic press at work and WOW it was nasty in there, I scrubbed it out with WD40 and compressed air but now I can't get it back together. the jaws are in the right spots but when I put the split ring in its race, it feels super loose, almost like the ring grew?? Obviously that didn't happen but the two breaks mate cleanly but they don't really engage the teeth on each of the jaws

untitled.JPG

Having never done one myself figure I'm somewhat of an expert. We're the jaws extended halfway when u gently nudged it out? Seems to be the preferred position and could be the reason the ring is now loose or does the ring tighten up during reassembly and then give proper teeth engagement? I Might have to dig out an old one for autopsy tomorrow

I have been able to hold the ring together and rotate it to move the jaws in and out to test to see if it is smooth and verify I have the jaws in the right place.

I don't recall if the ring felt loose. I don't think that is important.

I would concentrate on whether it moves the jaws smoothly in and out.

I put a little grease on the jaw sliding surfaces and on the teeth to make sure things ran smoothly. I would not put it together dry. I am sure there is a wide range of opinions about this.

I managed to get the sleeve back on without the jaws moving out of position and it seems fine now. I don't understand at all since it seemed like the thread engagement was kinda of crap but who knows. I honestly didn't expect it to work. Now I need to decide if I want to crack it open again and grease/oil it or just leave well enough alone.

I also need to decide if I want to preemptively tear down my new 5/8" chinese chuck and clean it out or just to leave it be.

If the old chuck is now a spare and will not see much use, I'm thinking spray and work in some chain lube if only to keep rust at bay.

Back