Chicago Dreis&Krump Box&Pan brake rebuild

Get better first, Paco (and you, too, Greg)! Take good care of yourselves. We can wait.

Well its official, I can create wind by simply mixing paint Flustered. The early morning was calm as could be with temps around 70º and rising. Set up the "paint booth", still calm, mixed the paint for spraying and the wind starts up hahahah.

Got the bottom and top clamp shot.

IMG_3248.JPG
Laid down about four medium wet coats. Used Xylene to cut the hammer tone (Rust-o-lium) for spraying.
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
The top clamp (leaf).
IMG_3253.JPG
Moved indoors to keep the bugs and birds off.
Reassembled the adjusters. Used some Lubriplate recommend by Mike (FOMOGO). Turns out I had a small tube of the white grease in the grease /RTV drawer:D.
IMG_3255.JPG
installed the new pins and bending apron pivots.
IMG_3256.JPG
The top clamp in position. I'll wait a few days to allow for complete curing before setting in place.
IMG_3258.JPG
I had tried to buy a new data plate from D&K but they flat-out refused to sell me a new tag. I offered to send them the original, but no go. The 41 year old tag was used. I suppose it gives the machine some character.
IMG_3260.JPG
Threw in the towel for the day. Darn ribs are still sore.
Thanks for looking.

Paco

Wow ! Looks great Paco. Like the colour.
Im sand blasting tomorrow, want to drop over and shoot the paint for me.
Painting is probably like snow blowing, as soon as I start the tractor the wind picks up and blows it back on me.

Greg

Hey Greg,
I used the same color on the Rockwell/Delta disc/belt restoration last year. The color hides the dirty paw prints pretty well and seems to be durable.
Been using a 20+ year old HF HVLP gravity gun with pretty good results. Once upon a time I only used higher end spray guns but those where my silly years hahah. I would shoot for you in a heartbeat just to play in your world for a while and learn some.

Paco

Send those guys at D&K some of these pics!
Robert

Hi Robert,

Dealing with Chicago D&K has been a bag of mixed feelings. The only friendly person is Mona the lady that takes your money. The couple of times I spoke with the head parts guy, he made me feel like I was a bother. His exact words when I asked about purchasing a new data plate was "forget it, we don't reissue serial numbers period". Yea, I don't think I'll be sharing anything with them.

Paco

Your re-build looks so professional in these photos and displays so much talent I was kind of thinking they would regret not helping you. Some of the old timers there must respect the restoration of this old iron. Well, at least we all get it.
But I agree, the old tag gives it nice character and provenance.
R

^^ Exactly, what rwm wrote, the original data plate is provenance. No problem.
Your rebuild gives the brake a whole new lease on life. The old plate proves it.
A pleasure to watch.

BTW, each time I see a picture of your base enhancements w/ fork pockets (especially on the FL), I like the setup even more.
Very simple but perfect for safely moving the brake.

Last edited:
Thanks Robert and extropic,
Its been a lot of fun restoring this machine. The fork pockets have proven to be invaluable. When I first had to move the break it was very top heavy and unstable with limited ways of picking. Now its safe and easy to move with the fork lift or pallet jack.

Paco

Assembles the top clamp and associated pivot links, blocks and levers.
The right adjusting jack is difficult to turn by hand. After closer inspection it still had a slight wobble when rotated.
The bow results in binding against the top of the bracket or trying to jack up the heavy top clamp. It doesn't take much of a bow to result in binding, just a few thou. A minor setback, but I'll just turn two new jack screws. I should be able to block the top clamp in place to disassemble and replace the adjusting screws.

Right end.
IMG_3262.JPG
Left end.
IMG_3264.JPG
The ball oiler where painted orange to enhance the lubrication points. The same will be done to the lower apron pivots (lower left in photo).
IMG_3263.JPG
So as it goes, this old machine is still "schooling" me along. Nothing has been simple but has proven rewarding.

No shop time today, I will enjoy, reflect and count my many blessings on this special Sunday.

Happy Easter,

Paco

Back