Check Out My Indexer

gwarner

Registered
Registered
Saw this baby on CL . Had one blurry picture that said " lathe no motor $25". I figured I could throw a quick treadmill motor on it and flip it. He was about 5 minutes away so I called and told him I was coming to get it. I emptied out the back of the pickup wondering if he would help load it. When I got there I backed up to his garage and then he came out the front door carrying this. I laughed and at first thought about leaving but as I checked it out it was built pretty well. I offered him $20 and took it home.
As I had it sitting on the bench wondering what the heck have I done then the idea hit me. I set it up on the mill and now it is an indexer. I changed out the pulley with what was a treadmill flywheel to use for a turning handle and a mount for my templates. I will use the circle dividing software from blocklayer.com to print out what ever steps I need. I did have to make a few centers as it has a weird taper.
I first chucked up a small hunk of random steel and made some test cuts. It was very stable. So I threw a piece of aluminum and knocked out a 6 sided object. It works even better than I hoped. I have a 21 tooth gear I need to tackle here real soon.
Here she is sitting on my mill. The mill has a 30" table and the lathe is 35"
IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0426.JPG

This shows the thickness of the bed rails. Pretty thick for a small machine.IMG_0425.JPG

Looks like you made a good buy.I can see a lot of uses I could find for it.

I would love to check it out. :idea: Just pack it up and send it to me. :laughing:

I have been looking for a deal like that around here with no luck so far. :you suck:

Nice!!! Can't ever have to many "between centers fixtures" That will come in handy for many things I think.
If you want to use it as a dividing indexer check out http://www.liming.org/millindex/ I made an electronic index from his plan and like it so much I will probably sell my dividing head.
Mine is a liming/harold hall version.

I just bought a small wood lathe at a flea market. Was also going to put a motor on it until I thought it would make a nice indexer...Bob

rgray, that is a great idea. I have been playing with steppers lately (cnc and delta build). Will certainly provide more accuracy than I will ever need. I may add that to my project list.
I assume you are just using the steppers for positioning and have an additional way of locking the spindle.
Bob, that is just what this one was. I have only used it a few times so far but each time it worked great.

I assume you are just using the steppers for positioning and have an additional way of locking the spindle.

Yes my homemade indexer is copied from the book "Milling a complete course" By Harold Hall. It has a lock on it. Just need to be sure to never forget to unlock it before advancing.
I'm using a window motor worm gear set and the large gear is plastic 57:1 gear ratio.
The stepper Limming uses is way larger than I think I would need and I think it would have no trouble stripping the plastic gear if I forgot to unlock before advancing.

The stepper Limming uses is way larger than I think I would need and I think it would have no trouble stripping the plastic gear if I forgot to unlock before advancing.

The reason I use such a larger stepper is to obivate the need for a brake. Steppers generate full torque while at rest - I know I have cut aluminum and brass with just the stepper holding the workpiece, and so far it has held, although I made sure I had a very low DOC.

Love your unit, especially the packaging, rgray! Looks very robust.

The reason I use such a larger stepper is to obivate the need for a brake. Steppers generate full torque while at rest - I know I have cut aluminum and brass with just the stepper holding the workpiece, and so far it has held, although I made sure I had a very low DOC

That makes perfect sense. Now I just need to step up to a brass gear. Been eyeing the anti backlash worm and spur gears from sdp/si kind of expensive but I think they would work well.
With my 57:1 gear reduction maybe I'm fine and maybe the plastic is strong enough.

Got a 3D printer 6 months ago and made a nice arduino box from files from thingverse to clean up the housing and mounting of that part.

Back