Cheap powerfeeds on Ebay

tjr6257

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have experience with the inexpensive ($300 range) mill/drill power feeds found on Ebay? Are they cheap knockoffs of cheap knockoffs or something? My machine is a Dayton and from MSC they're about $1000, big difference. I'm a new member and this is my first post. Thanks in advance

They are cheap knockoffs. If you look at the specs they don't have very much power. Finding parts for them is impossible if (and when) they break down. Spend a few extra bucks and buy a nice Servo Feed. Even used they are better than the knockoffs. They have been around forever and you won't have any problems down the road.

I ordered a Bestline PF for the x from a authorized servo repair place as my servo 80 died after 35 years. Was told it is a direct bolt on replacement for the 80 , Not , the only thing that fit was the mount casting . Sent that one back and have a USA servo 140 headed this way , Buy once Cry once $600.
Super max mill , bp clone

some of the cheap powerfeeds have plastic gearing, you may wish to avoid that!

I bought one of the "Cheap" x axis power feeds. I have had good luck with it.

It has plenty of power.. It has moved the table even when I forgot the table lock on. It is supposed to have an overload clutch but it has yet to kick in. I wouldn't be to concerned about plastic gears. They have very strong plastics today.

It was a Shars model. and around $300

Might even be worth a call to Matt at QMT. I would think that one of his feeds would work and also he could answer about parts availability.

They are cheap knockoffs. If you look at the specs they don't have very much power. Finding parts for them is impossible if (and when) they break down. Spend a few extra bucks and buy a nice Servo Feed. Even used they are better than the knockoffs. They have been around forever and you won't have any problems down the road.
I tend to agree with 4sss regarding quality and reliability
-but-
Things may not be quite as hopeless as stated. I once tried to refurbish a very old Align AL-99 power feed. There's a company called Bestline that sells and services these PFs. Unfortunately, mine was too old, so they didn't have parts. But I'll offer a link to their site, in case anybody here has a more recent unit that needs parts or service: http://www.bestlinepro.com/prod01.htm

Thanks guys for all your replies. 4S, can I assume these cheap knock offs don't use servo motors and the higher priced one's do? Any other choices out there using servo motors (i.e. higher quality) other than from MSC? Thanks again

plenty of power.. It has moved the table even when I forgot the table lock on. It is supposed to have an overload clutch but it has yet to kick in. I wouldn't be to concerned about plastic gears. They have very strong plastics today.

It was a Shars model. and around $300
Good to know, I was looking at the Shars since they say the clutch is supposed to avoid the issue with breaking the gear teeth. Mine would be a heavy mod to fit the 8520 since it is not 5/8 and does not match up at all. But planning to pull the trigger sometime.

Servo is the brand, but they all have similar motor drives. I have two newer Align AL-500 power feeds on my mill, no shortage of power and they are very well made looking at the components, switch gear and the drive gear is brass. They are made in Taiwan (no plastic) and a bit more common than the no-name ones often sold on eBay, so there are parts for the current versions. I have no expectations as to getting parts in 10-15 years, if they last that long than I am fine with the money spent. I will get some spare brushes and maybe a drive gear assembly at some point, if anything more than that it probably doesn't pay to repair them. The Servo drives are very nice and the price matches that, so in the industrial setting it may be warranted. As a hobbyist I just couldn't see paying 2-3X more than the Align drives for the Servo drives. Also when it does come to repair the Servos, it is often very expensive. I had looked at a few used mills from an industrial setting, and often they had a dead Servo drive, granted they had a hard life. If I could afford the Servo drives, I would buy them, maybe when my current drives go I will reconsider it.

As far as I am aware almost all these drive units including the Servo use Zytel (nylon) gear at the bottom of the units. This may act as a sacrificial gear if the drive is over driven. The type and quality of the bevel gear may be another matter.

Last edited:
Back