Cheap Mini Mill

ex_isp

Registered
Registered
Greetings all! First time here... not actually a machinist, but a knife maker.

I need to be able to cut brass (only) that's no thicker than 1/4", 1/8th " wide slot, 1/2 to 3/4" long. This is for making finger guards on knives where the blade goes into the handle. Traditionally, I have done this by making a hole and then sitting with pin files for half a day. OUCH! ;)

I have just seen a very affordable mill ($190) on the interwebz. Now, I realize that this is a cheap, small, underpowered machine.
It only needs to be able to do the task I described above. I don't even expect it to be able to cut the 1/4" deep slot in one pass. 8 to 10 passes would have to be better/faster by far, than the better part of a day spent with files.
Headstock speed is only 2000 rpm. Passes would (I think) be shallow without much force.

I am looking for your opines on this machine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Mini-Milling-Machine-Micro-DIY-Woodworking-Power-Tool-for-Student-Hobby-/251811966308?hash=item3aa129ad64:g:U4MAAOSw3xJVXEAc

Thoughts pro or con are highly appreciated!
Many thanks for your time!

Ex

Welcome Aboard Ex !:)

If I were making that cut with hand tools, I would drill the hole then use a jeweler's saw to rough it out then finish with a file. Much faster.

Now, I realize that this is a cheap, small, underpowered machine.

Yes, but for the price it seems reasonable. I think it will do the job as you described.

The question you may need to ask yourself is: ''If I had a bigger better machine could I do other operations that I'm currently doing by hand?'';)

Last edited:
>>If I were making that cut with hand tools, I would drill the hole then use a jeweler's saw to rough it out then finish with a file. Much faster.
Embarrassed to say that I had not thought of the jewelers saw!

>>Welcome Aboard Ex !:)
Many thanks kind sir!

>>The question you may need to ask yourself is: ''If I had a bigger better machine could I do other operations that I'm currently doing by hand?'';)
Excellent point! But likely, not. Most everything else is forging, HT-ing, grinding, polishing. Pretty well tooled on the other fronts.

Most of my knives are slab handled skinners.
OrdMedSknrBldWd.jpg

or

TS.jpg

This little machine really would be the ideal size/cost for it's needs and if it has reasonable life, would be "the cats meow" for my needs.
The first thing I tried was putting a 2 axis vice on the drill press table but the drill press just has a bit too much run-out on the spindle, hence my search for
a (real?) mill.

I'm pretty sure you would be disappointed in that particular product.
Reasons please. While I most often go out of my way to avoid far eastern pot metal tools and understand what Harbor Freight is/does,
some of their tools aren't as bad as others. And this particular mill is less expensive than the comparable HF mill. (bells going off?)
My thinking is that with light passes, maybe 10 minutes to cut my slot...? With light passes, will it work?

What other might you suggest?

Chris

It's not really a mill. It's more a toy. I don't say this lightly. I spent the last two years searching for a cheep quality mill. The sherline and proxxon are really the only real options.

The xy table and drill press should be able to be tweaked for your needs. Good luck getting it sorted

Reasons please. While I most often go out of my way to avoid far eastern pot metal tools and understand what Harbor Freight is/does, some of their tools aren't as bad as others. And this particular mill is less expensive than the comparable HF mill. (bells going off?)

The Harbor Freight Benchtop Mill/Drill is a lot more machine than the one on ebay. Also about 3.5 times the cost. Neither one of them will be a very stable machine compared to more expensive machines, but bolted together aluminum extrusions does not make for a very stable platform.

If price is the primary consideration, then the one on ebay will get the job done with light cuts and reasonable care. Another option might be a router and router table along with a guide or some fixturing.

Welcome Aboard Ex !:)

The question you may need to ask yourself is: ''If I had a bigger better machine could I do other operations that I'm currently doing by hand?'';)

I agree with Jim. Once you experience the utility of a milling machine your scope of possibilities opens up and it will become far more useful than you might realize. One area it might be useful in is the making of tools that will make your knifemaking tasks simpler.

A mill is also able to drill far more accurately than just about any other tool in the shop and it will bore extremely accurate holes that you cannot otherwise make. Then there are the abilities to make stuff flat, of precise dimensions and with profiles that are cumbersome to otherwise do. A mill greatly expands your capabilities so if you spend money, buy one that will perform for you.

The smallest mill I know of is the Sherline mill; it is extremely accurate and capable for its size. I see them come up on Craigslist from time to time. Money spent here might be a wise investment.

Have a care, however; the next thing you know you'll be wanting a lathe and wind up like the rest of us hapless toolaholics.

I thought a hf benchtop would suit me for some small aluminum key way slots I needed. 8 moths later I drug home a 4000lb Kearney and Trecker and I just play with metal for a hobby. Buy something 2-3 times bigger/stiffer/more powerful than you think you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back