Cheap End Mills

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I took a gamble and ordered a set of 6 end mills from China. there is a 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 1/2" and 5/8". They are 4 flute end mills with a steep helix on the flutes. They came today and they look really decent and are very sharp (had to get a band aid after examining them)For the price, I am impressed. They were three dollars and 5.99 shipping which is $8.99 for 6 end mills. If they only do one job it is worth it.

You do know that you are required to use Chinese band-aids when you get hurt on Chinese tooling, don't you? :D

I tried some that were similar, but not quite that low in price. I think the set that I got like that was about $16 shipping included, but there were eight end mills in the set. They've been fine, but I haven't 'pushed' them either.

You do know that you are required to use Chinese band-aids when you get hurt on Chinese tooling, don't you? :D

I tried some that were similar, but not quite that low in price. I think the set that I got like that was about $16 shipping included, but there were eight end mills in the set. They've been fine, but I haven't 'pushed' them either.

I looked at all my medical suplies in the house and almost all are made in China, so I'm covered

I will never again buy Chinese tooling, especially End Mills. It's a good price but how long will they last?
and are they ground well? Do you get a nice finish? I'll stick with Guhring and Niagra. They stay sharp for a long time.

I took a gamble and ordered a set of 6 end mills from China. there is a 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 1/2" and 5/8". They are 4 flute end mills with a steep helix on the flutes. They came today and they look really decent and are very sharp (had to get a band aid after examining them)
. For the price, I am impressed. They were three dollars and 5.99 shipping which is $8.99 for 6 end mills. If they only do one job it is worth it.

Mark, since you're presumably unassociated except as a customer, can you provide the source ? Thanks -

I will never again buy Chinese tooling, especially End Mills. It's a good price but how long will they last?
and are they ground well? Do you get a nice finish? I'll stick with Guhring and Niagra. They stay sharp for a long time.

I don't expect the quality of a good American cutter, but if they work good for one job, they were worth it. I will be using them tomorrow, I'll report back how good they are. They appear to be ground well and are finished nicely. Looking at them, I can't tell the difference between them and a "good" end mill. We shall see tomorrow.

Mark, since you're presumably unassociated except as a customer, can you provide the source ? Thanks -

Try this link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-4-Flute-HSS-AL-Endmill-Cutters-Milling-Machine-CNC-Cutting-Tools-1-8-to-5-8-/271835168413?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=rj5DPYE4XZrmQoU26AjkEUZMgfU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There are several listings varying in price. Look at the seller's "other listings". They have several end mill sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a tooling snob. I just prefer to use tools that last and are well made. I also collect a lot of vintage USA tooling.

When I purchased my mill about 10 years ago, I ordered a set of Chinese TiN coated 4-flute end mills with with lots of other accessories from Grizzly. Here it is 10 years later and they are still cut as well as I remember them cutting when they were new. One of them chipped when I dropped it.

They don't get heavy use. I work mostly with aluminum, but have done a few pieces in steel.

When I purchased them I made a judgement call and got 4-flute end mills, because I figured they'd be multi-purposed.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a set of 10 2-flute TiN coated end mills on sale for about $40 at Enco with free shipping, so I got a set based on my experience with the other set. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I've milled two or three pieces with them and the cuts are near mirror smooth.

I was also wondering why it would be advisable to spend 3-4 times as much for end mills, given my experience with the ones I've been using. I have a few US made end mills, even a couple of solid carbide, but I can't tell any difference in their performance.

I'm guessing the difference could be that I'm a one man shop and the mill is just one of many tools I use in any project, so it doesn't run all day long, nor do I do production runs.

I like fine tools and I have quite a few, but some of my tools were required for a specific and rare need, and are just serviceable. But, they earn their keep. Sometimes, quantity has a quality all its own.

Last edited:
When I purchased my mill about 10 years ago, I ordered a set of Chinese TiN coated 4-flute end mills with with lots of other accessories from Grizzly. Here it is 10 years later and they are still servicable and cut as well as I remember them cutting when they were new. One of them chipped when I dropped it.

They don't get heavy use. I work mostly with aluminum, but have done a few pieces in steel.

When I purchased them I made a judgement call and got 4-flute end mills, because I figured they'd work on aluminum but I also wanted to be able to work with steel.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a set of 10 2-flute TiN coated end mills on sale for about $40 at Enco with free shipping, so I got a set based on my experience with the other set. I couldn't be more pleased with them. They do an even better job on aluminum. I've milled two or three pieces with them and the cuts are near mirror smooth.

I was also wondering why it would be advisable to spend 3-4 times as much for end mills, given my experience with the ones I've been using. I have a few US made end mills, even a couple of solid carbide, but I can't tell any difference in their performance.

I'm guessing the difference could be that I'm a one man shop and the mill is just one of many tools I use in any project, so it doesn't run all day long, nor do I do production runs.

I like fine tools and I have quite a few, but some of my tools were required for a specific and rare need, and are just serviceable. But, they earn their keep. Sometimes, quantity has a quality all its own.

That is a good point. As a one man shop where only I will use these cutters, they will probably last plenty long enough to be well worth the price. I would never suggest them to a shop with a bunch of different guys using them. As you , and others, I like fine tools also, but cant afford too go out and drop $10 to $20 per end mill. If these work decent, it is a much more affordable choice for the hobbyist on a tight budget like me.

Back