Cheap 60 degree tool or correct threading bit shape?

I have a Mitoyo gage en-route. $13 shipped via Amazon Prime.

A good quality gage is important. When I set my threading tool, I loosen the tool post and set a 30/60/90 ground triangle against the chuck face, I only need to set the leading edge since I use a form ground insert. Place a white piece of paper on the ways, and slide the 30 deg. edge of the threading tool against the 30 degree edge of the triangle until the gap blocks out the white paper and lock 'er down. A tooth brush and a couple drops of TapMagic really help reduce built up edge when running low manual threading speeds. When you are a thou or two from full depth, take a couple straight in cross slide passes at the bottom to shave both the leading and trailing thread flanks.
Good Luck!
Best Regards, Gary

My bad. I misread it. In that case, I would cut a relief notch if there is none or buy a better fish gauge.

Tom

A knife edge, or nut file would work well for this as long as it is not hardened. If so a Dremel cutoff wheel would work.

Hi all, A most interesting topic here on sharpening a tool bit for threading. I am new to machining and milling, and I have the same problem with my thread gauge when checking the grind of the tool bit. Usually I find a tiny "feather" on the tip of the tool bit which forms as a result of grinding. This feather is barely visible and the tool touches the bottom of the "V" on the gauge, and prevents the tool from going any deeper into the the gauge and results in the sides of the toolbit from making contact with the sides of the gauge. What I do is to wipe across the whole point of the toolbit with a fine honing stone and the feather is removed. The tool then fits into the gauge all the way. It amaizing just how much the slight feather on the tip prevents the toolbit from sitting deeper into the gauge.

Also, can someone advise me about " thread measuring wires" what are they?
Regards

Back