Chassis Build

Man oh man that is Sweet! My Son is going to flip when I show him this post! Two quick q's... What do you use for coolant flood? I'm ready to start that now also. In the pic below, you have two vises being used to hold a long part. I've been looking for something exactly like that. Not too small, Not to big. You happen to know who made those ? Again... AMAZING work. incredible patience!

...again, AMAZING post. 2vise.jpg

Man oh man that is Sweet! My Son is going to flip when I show him this post! Two quick q's... What do you use for coolant flood? I'm ready to start that now also. In the pic below, you have two vises being used to hold a long part. I've been looking for something exactly like that. Not too small, Not to big. You happen to know who made those ? Again... AMAZING work. incredible patience!

...again, AMAZING post. View attachment 229091

I'm currently using Koolrite 2290 coolant. So far this is the best I have found for being machine and user friendly. No rust issues and almost no odor.

The vises are 4" CNC style from Shars. They are great for the price but with a couple of drawbacks. The vises are not matched so one is a few though taller than the other and they only open 3.8". Other than that no complaints.

Now that life is settling down a bit this project is moving back toward the front of the line. Unfortunately I found and issue with the receiver block where I had modified a feature in the CAD model that had a relationship to the magazine well position. I didn't catch that and the result is the mag well is out of position by 0.1" which is too much to fix. Now that I have to remake that part I decided to change from a single stack magazine to a double stack ACIS compatible style. I'm also going to try some reduced shank end mills for the deep milling of the mag well and trigger well to see if I can improve the surface finish and avoid the chatter of the long flute end mills. I have some reduced shank end mills on order from Mari Tool so hopefully they will be here soon and I can get this project going again.

Jbolt,

Superb. I bought a chassis for a Savage in my pre-CNC days, and your's looks every bit as nice.

FYI - American Gunsmith Tools is an off-shoot of Lakeshore Carbide, and they have some very nice long-reach reduced shank 3/8" end mills specifically designed for deep pocketing the magwell and FCP on AR10/15's. I have used mine and it's quite nice - so if the Maritool isn't to your taste I can recommend the AGT carbide stuff. I suspect anything you get from Maritool will be awesome, but I figured I'd just throw it out there as an alternate.

Jbolt,

Superb. I bought a chassis for a Savage in my pre-CNC days, and your's looks every bit as nice.

FYI - American Gunsmith Tools is an off-shoot of Lakeshore Carbide, and they have some very nice long-reach reduced shank 3/8" end mills specifically designed for deep pocketing the magwell and FCP on AR10/15's. I have used mine and it's quite nice - so if the Maritool isn't to your taste I can recommend the AGT carbide stuff. I suspect anything you get from Maritool will be awesome, but I figured I'd just throw it out there as an alternate.

Thanks for the heads up on AGT. I will keep them in mind. I had better like the Maritool cutters for the cost. LOL

Finally got to start on the remake of the receiver block. Based on the previous part I went through the CAM and refined some of the tools and tool paths. I was able to cut the top today which is the inlet for the receiver and magazine well. I'm super thrilled with the results of the reduced shank carbide end mills.

Here is the magazine well from the fist part. I used an extended length 3/8" HSS end mill and tried to take a full depth finish cut resulting in chatter marks. The corners were pre-drilled with a 1/8" hole so the cusps had to be filed by hand.

20170917_180824.png

Here is the new part finished with the reduced shank end mills. On this part I pre-drilled the corners 3/16" since the ACIS magazines have a larger corner radius. On both parts the mag well was pre-drilled with 1/2" holes and then roughed out with a 1/2" roughing end mill leaving 0.01" for finishing. I ran a 3/8" reduced shank carbide end mill set to do a finish pass and then a spring pass. DOC was .185" at 48 IPM, 6000 RPM. The final finishing to remove the cusps was done with a 3/16" reduced shank end mill with a DOC of 0.06" at 40 IPM, 6000 RPM. No filing needed and the magazine is a perfect fit.

20170917_201051.png

Here are the tools.

20170917_220216.png

And a shot of the completed inletting.

20170917_202236.png

Beautiful work !
I wish I had the capability to do that type of work. I can draw em but do not have the machinery or knowledge of cnc to do it.

Back