Charity Possibilities

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have just discovered a maker space right in my own city , a guy in charge who enthusiastically
Accepted my lathe, workbench , file cabinets , +TBD,s . I get membership
And a place to play while catching up on computers , etc. also fawning
Newbies to pass on the Gospel to. Happy man moving to new Apt.
Will pass on news......... BLJHB,

The maker space idea sounds good but my worry is that to many "would be" machinists would damage the equipment causing extraordinary costs. Perhaps a hefty up front fee or possibly a test on the machines at a pre specified charge would slow down the 30 year old guy with 40 years of experience. Would like to hear from maker space operators on this subject.
Have a good day
Ray

I am always pretty suspicious of such offers, If your back is to the wall worth thinking about (Nowhere to keep your machines) But once your nice machines are in such a set up "common usage " is a problem everybody does not care about your equipment like oneself, If someone God forbid gets hurt on your equipment who takes the tab?

Might be time to become friends with a business lawyer to draw up some kind of contract/agreement to protect you from being sued if injured by one of the users of your equipment. Also, require the users carry some kind of insurance that would cover for injury or damaged to your equipment, too.

Might be time to become friends with a business lawyer to draw up some kind of contract/agreement to protect you from being sued if injured by one of the users of your equipment. Also, require the users carry some kind of insurance that would cover for injury or damaged to your equipment, too.

Just get an attorney, it's cheaper. I'd sell the equipment to the space with a loan on them. They rent space back to you, it's a wash for you both (watch the taxes). There's a balloon payment with a reversion in x years. That's if you want the machines back and not the tax break on the donation, assuming their a 501 type org.

The sell means there's no more liability to you for an accident, etc, than there is for the bank carrying the note on your car.

I am always pretty suspicious of such offers, If your back is to the wall worth thinking about (Nowhere to keep your machines) But once your nice machines are in such a set up "common usage " is a problem everybody does not care about your equipment like oneself, If someone God forbid gets hurt on your equipment who takes the tab?
Since there is no likelihood that I will ever need my tools again, and no
One has shown any interest in buying an assortment such as I have, I will let them
go free with hope that some folks willbe inspired to carry "making stuff for fun and
profit a little further" Also, no money, no liability ...........BLJHB.

Since there is no likelihood that I will ever need my tools again, and no
One has shown any interest in buying an assortment such as I have, I will let them
go free with hope that some folks willbe inspired to carry "making stuff for fun and
profit a little further" .

Good for you, man! It's not ALWAYS about the money.

When TechShop was first starting up, I donated my first real lathe, a 1980s Taiwanese 11" along with some tooling, in exchange for a membership I hardly used. I was glad not to have to mess with selling it for a few bucks, and I know it's had plenty of good use there. Later I passed along a 24" Delta jigsaw, a planer and some other things.

Dear ol' Dad aways said, "If it's not enough money to change your life, then it's not enough money to worry about." It was a right smart while before that bit of wisdom finally sank in, but when it did my life took a turn for the better in a number of ways.

Reporting back....... No, it's not money any more. My "children" have moved
Off into the World, and have their own fortunes to live with. I tried to tell
them to do what they loved, and if they do it well enough, someone will
probably pay enough to live comfortably if you work to your promised
standards. I am mostly done with this life, and don't wring my hands over
anything further , though I wonder at the accumulation of petty, annoying
non - fatal diseases one can support ! ........BLJHB

though I wonder at the accumulation of petty, annoying
non - fatal diseases one can support ! ........BLJHB

I am just getting into machining at a somewhat advanced age, and have a fair amount of announces accumulated from my present occupation.

Back