Charity....is What Thm Is All About...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Especially around this time of year, one begins to think about charity.
In a way, charity is what this site is all about- and it is why it was started.
The idea is that people who have a lot of knowledge, like most of you guys, should be charitable to those of us who know little, if nothing. And that is precisely what has happened on this forum.
Those of you who know, have been kind to those of us who don't.

It's a beautiful thing, really...

Some people, of course, are not very charitable:
Ex: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72020-OT-Broken-Leg-needs-help

Ability doesn't always equate with charity, unfortunately.
Fortunately, there are many talented and charitable people on this forum to keep it going well.
We can always, always, always use more! So please join if you haven't and participate if you haven't.

In church, they mention that religion isn't about a building, a liturgy, or a ceremony. It's about living like Jesus or whatever God you believe in. It's about spreading the word in what you do, and to who.
Let's continue our mission in that spirit.

Nels, that link is so sad. Especially this time of year. If people are suspect or don't want to give out personal information then that is fine, but why do they feel it is necessary to post their mean spirited comments.

You and your team have managed to build the most enjoyable forum that I have ever visited. It is not only the charitable giving of members time and experience, but the entire atmosphere. No belittling, sarcasm, mean spirited remarks etc. Totally inclusive regardless of our experience or knowledge.

And regarding religion, I always try to "love thy neighbour".

I would never hesitate to assist a member here if I had the ability.

Keep up the good work.

David

Thanks, David. The staff and members here are tops. I can just sit back and let them run things. A lot of people can make things. Only certain people can teach others to do it with patience and tact like they do.

When I saw that thread, I was disgusted, but not surprised. I tried to reach out to some of them years ago, and was kicked down. Drop dead mean, that is what they are. What's shocking is that they have no problem posting those responses to a guy who has rods sticking out of his leg. Mike Schoen was the worst, telling his whole financial history, his 800 credit score, and explaining why he won't give anything . Brian Rupnow asked the injured guy if he lived in Nigeria or Somalia. I'm glad that thread is up for people to see who their dealing with.

The positive thing is that I felt so bad about it that I did what I should and gave him something .

Wow. Long story short, I have been reminded yet again why I seldom visit HSM.

It is a very humbling experience to be down on your luck and have to ask for help. I've been there, and it is not fun. It certainly changes one's outlook on life in general, and teaches one to be grateful for what one has. I don't know who to feel more sorry for: the gentleman requesting the help or the ones that responded in such a negative fashion.

If you're ever down on your luck, don't ask Paul Schoen for a break:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72020-OT-Broken-Leg-needs-help/page4

#38PStechPaul

I would help if I had more money, but my AGI for 2015 was only about $14,000 and I had $12,000 in itemized deductions, and $4000 exemptions, so I'm officially below poverty level. My SSA of almost $20,000 (including Medicare) helps a lot, but I'm still living pretty close to the bone. I've always lived frugally, and always had some money in the bank plus other investments, and I've lived debt-free since I paid off my mortgage(s) twenty years ago. I also have over 800 credit score so I could borrow money if I needed it for emergencies.

So, many times in the past, people have asked me for help with money or for investment in their business, and usually I have not been burned (too badly), but I have never had to beg for or borrow money (except for house/land purchases), and the only "charity" I ever received was living at my mother's house rent free while I built my business (while also paying a mortgage on my own house, which was being renovated). So I always had a "cushion" to fall back on in case of emergencies, usually enough to live (frugally) for a year or two without income.

Still, I feel compassion and I am willing to make a small donation, but last time I looked, the fund was well on its way to meeting its modest goal. Good luck on your recovery, and hopefully you will be able to regain adequate employment once you heal. And be careful! View attachment 223996
http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
Paul: www.peschoen.com
P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Now you can see why he is single for life, runs a solo business, and hangs out there. He could be the world's greatest machinist, I still wouldn't want to be around him.

After he went off on me on that forum without even knowing me, I banned his email address . If I didn't want to give, I wouldn't . But to post stuff like that, it's , it's just inhuman .

Sounds like he is doing better than I did with go fund me...I got nada. My leg break is similar to the pic Frank Ford put up, except I got more hardware. Those fund raising campaigns are not all they are cracked up to be, IMO. They were ZERO help to me. After about 3 months they arbitrarily closed my accounts, one with a little money in it that they never would allow me to withdraw. I don't recommend them. They would not even clarify why they were closing the accounts. Said it was against their policy to discuss their rules. I even went back and tried again, no dice. I think they want high profile cases where big bucks are involved so they get more in commission. I still can't work, but I can at least walk, albeit with a healthy limp.

If anyone wants to donate thru PayPal, his email is, louisrfnauto@yahoo.com

Here's what I said to him as I sent him a donation.

"I hope this will help you out. I received wind of this over on the Hobby-Machinist Forum where i'm a member, 4GSR. We encourage you to come over to H-M, become a member and participate with us. You will get treated with a warm welcome. My God be with you and your health get's better. Ken Stokley."

I have never in my whole life read how cold people can get as most commented over there! I hope he leaves there!

Ken

Tony ,

I noticed that your gofundme.com account was closed.

Louis raised $845 of $2100 with 25 people in 7 days.

I would like you to reopen the account . If not, I will open it for you. Then I will send a message that you write up to all 18000 members. Then to the 1500 contacts on the linkedin account.

Let me know when it's open and the message is ready.

Tony,

Send me your email, I know I have it here somewhere just can't find it, and I'll be glad to send a little funds. Ken

Back