Changing The Caliber On A Remington 700

I tried a 30-06 to 30 carbine bushing many moons ago. The idea was to shoot up some surplus ammo with less recoil. It worked fine for plinking, it went bang alright.
But a 30-06 to 308 bushing is not something I would expect to be accurate enough for 600 yd. competition. It would be impossible (I think) to seat bullets into the lands or even get close.

mca sports in Alaska has them for $25.

the freebore does not hurt the accuracy at all.
I'm not sure how this could not effect accuracy. Not trying to be argumentative. How far off the lans would the bullet be? I'd imagine the throat erosion would be crazy

In my personal experience they are not any good for precision shooting. Minute of man out to 300 yards, maybe. On board ship or for mines. No problem.

Now, on another note, for those adventurous souls:

I have a blue print of the bushing but apparently I am to ignorant to load it. PM me if you'd like it.

Last edited:
Load your own with lighter bullets and choose the right level of accuracy verses the recoil thats right for you.

Don't get caught up in the "target" bullets and it must be a certain combination deal. My best loads at 600 yards were my "light" varmint Vmax reloads one windy day. I found I could run 7 rounds through my long bull barrel before the group went to crap. I've been to the point of black and blue with some blood from all day range sessions with heavy and hot 45.70's. So, I tend to find the lightest load with accuracy now, you can load a 30-06 as a varmint rifle or a bear rifle and everything in between. :)

If you want to be a gunsmith, learn on rusty cheap rifles that nobody will miss.:cautious:

Back