Changing a Capacitor on a Motor

Yeah, I guess not a lot of people keep that kind of stuff around. I routinely use them in draining the caps on tubes amps before I work on them. There's 450-700 volts on those so it gets pretty important to drain them!

Marinusdees left this reply as a report rather than a reply, must have hit the wrong button. Anyway, here is his take on it:

"The problem is almost certainly the centrifugal start switxh. You must take off the end bells of the moto to see this. It is a mechanical switch which is prone to stick or the contacts get pitted or dirty. It can be adjusted/repaired. If it really is..."

Well, actually, I do keep resistors such as that on hand, among other things. I work on ancient electronics as a hobby. And yes, I do discharge any electrolytic cap I think I will be reusing. They aren't really made for a high current discharge like they get with a screwdriver. I'm sure they will tolerate a bit of it, but who knows how many times it has been done prior to my working on the device? Or if it is old and just has one more spark in it....POP!, there it goes.Now I have to replace it.

Here is my reply to marinusdees on this report to moderator.

"The problem is almost certainly the centrifugal start switxh. You must take off the end bells of the moto to see this. It is a mechanical switch which is prone to stick or the contacts get pitted or dirty. It can be adjusted/repaired. If it really is"

Marinusdees

this is basicly what my reply was as well. As a Grizzly motor, chances are the end bells do not bneed to be removed, but all depends on the motor in question. Sometimes the switch is internal, often on import motors it is external, mounted under the fan.

Thanks for your comments.

Walter

[quote author=Model Maker link=topic=1481.msg9224#msg9224 date=1302145932]
I am getting closer to finishing everything thats on my "fix it list".

Model Maker
[/quote]Welcome to the club neighbor. ;)

Seem like every time I cross one off the list, two more get added on. Congrat's on the successful repair. Feels good, yes? :)

Back