Change Of Altitude

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Well now I've gone and done it again. I decided to rebuild a second aircraft so that I would at least have something to fly while I finish the more serious aircraft. This is a Skylite ultralight, which everyone says does not look like an ultralight. As it turns out, the more parts I inspected . . . the more I found that needed repair or replacement. This turned into a summer long nut and bolt restoration. While many bad words were said during the restoration/rebuild, the results were worth it.

Tom
Skylite finished.jpg

It's even got an articulated tail wheel. Nice. If only....(how many times have I said (or thought) that).

Isn't it time the corn was off?

Pic from October, Tom. Corn's off, leaves are off, 45mph straightline winds driving a wonderful mix of rain, sleet, and snow tonight. Even a few tornados a little south of here today. A good night to stay in and enjoy some chili.

Tom

...... As it turns out, the more parts I inspected . . . the more I found that needed repair or replacement.

OK, that's sounds bad. Were they corroded, or were they assembled incorrectly the first time around?
Why is it I have the feeling it's the latter?....

Looks great. That would be a enjoyable ride.

OK, that's sounds bad. Were they corroded, or were they assembled incorrectly the first time around?
Why is it I have the feeling it's the latter?....

Looks great. That would be a enjoyable ride.

Dan, both corrosion and the original builder thinking he knew better than the designer. I returned the airframe to the original plans. In the process, 110 pounds of added on weight were removed, and the airframe substantially strengthened. In a light aircraft, weight is especially critical. I even lost 20 pounds off my carcass working all summer in my hot hangar.Flustered
It is a great ride, slow and gentle, much like a Cub.
Tom

(110)lbs?!? That's a tad concerning. Seems to me to be quite a lot considering the size of the airframe.
The OB should have stuck to the plans.

*SIGH* it's been over 40 years since I got to ride shotgun in a Cub, that and Gramps had a Cessna 140.
Slow, gentle and able to land darn near anywhere.

That looks nice, How does it fly now.

That looks nice, How does it fly now.
Thank you, Ken. Cruises at 60mph, lands at 30, climbs at ~500 feet per minute, with a fuel burn of about 3 gallons per hour of 92 octane auto gas. Like most very light planes it's not an aircraft for very windy days, but great fun early in the morning or late afternoons.

Back