[Lathe] change gears for Atlas lathe

a few more to go....machine shop 021.jpg machine shop 013.jpg machine shop 014.jpg machine shop 015.jpg machine shop 016.jpg machine shop 017.jpg machine shop 018.jpg machine shop 019.jpg machine shop 020.jpg

The last two are partly the reason I am broke. Well aside from a couple of divorces which took their toll also. The wall of fame are a few of the rewards we got when my youngest son and I were in the motorcycle racing/ dirt bike racing mode. Got Danged.....I loved those times. Each one of those plaques represent about $600.00 of hard cold cash not to mention all the broken parts and trips to the ER we made when things didn't go so well.

The trophy's on the floor are from my earlier years when I was trying to make it to the big time on the Bass fishing trail and was probably the cause of at least one of the divorces I mentioned earlier. There's no way to put a price tag on those pieces of modern day history. Let's just say the cost of the beer we drank back then could have financed a small machine shop with all of the tooling and maybe even a CNC machine or two. AWHHHH those were the days.

Last edited:
Im willing to bet you can rearange those gears for a usable turning speed. Start by putting the biggest gear on the crossfeed spindle. From the headstock orient them to be small gears engaging big gears. Remember you can put two gears on a spindle.

I think I might try that and see what happens. I know, I need a 20 t gear and maybe a couple others to be able to get it like it should be but the way it is now is a real pain to try and work with. When I get time I'll try moving them around with what I have and go from there.......I mean, what's the worst that can happen?:grin:

I think I might try that and see what happens. I know, I need a 20 t gear and maybe a couple others to be able to get it like it should be but the way it is now is a real pain to try and work with. When I get time I'll try moving them around with what I have and go from there.......I mean, what's the worst that can happen?:grin:

I think all the manuals and parts lists are on this site, you need to get the threading supplement for the lathe that will tell you what gears you need for what feeds.

Also checkout that like I gave you for parts, the guy is good and he's not ripoff prices. If I buy a few things from him he cuts me a good deal.

I downloaded the threading supplement a few days ago so I have that now. I haven't messed with the lathe much for the past couple days as I have been making some parts on the mill. I have to make a bushing for the motor shaft because the shaft is too small for my coupler that connects the motor shaft to the main drive shaft of the wire stripper. I'll do that on the lathe so I may mess with the gears a little before I do that.

Oh and I did check that guy you posted. It turns out that I had bought some stuff from him before. You can spend quite a bit of time just going through his web site. I have so much on my wish list but so little money to spread around.:frown:

Back