Change gears for a newbie on a 7x10 HF lathe, metal or plastic?

Cavediver

Registered
Registered
The time has finally come to start messing around with threading. I have a used lathe that arrived without the change gears, so I need to buy some.

Should I buy metal change gears or plastic gears?

I would buy the plastic, but LMS is out of stock on the full set. I'm a little concerned about using metal since the plastic gears should provide a failure point if / when I crash the carriage.

If plastic is the way to go, does anyone have a US source other than LMS? I'd like to buy from them, but their estimated availability date for the full set is unknown :(

Concerning your choice of plastic vs metal I would strongly recommend the plastic gears. Plastic gears run quieter. Plastic gears need no lubrication which is a plus as lubrication such as oil or grease attracts and holds chips and dirt (this is an important point. Well adjusted plastic gears will last indefinitely I have not had any issues with them in over 6 years of frequent use.

Dick

You could look at Grizzly. Their's is 7x12, but I think it's the same.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8688/parts
Old thread, I know, I just wanted to say thanks. It never occurred to me to check Grizzly for 7xXX mini lathe parts.

For the 5 items I ordered, Grizzly's prices are about half what LMS charges. The website is more user friendly, too.

Nothing wrong with the plastic gears. I have NEVER broken one. I would not buy the "upgrade" metal change gears set.

As for 7x mini-lathes - there is not a bit of quality difference between the high-end LMS and MM lathes and the various 7x lathes seen on amazon and ebay. There are "feature" differences of various kinds.

I would not buy the HF 7x10 (really 7x8 when measured in the same manner of the various 7x12, 7x14, and 7x16 models) UNLESS only very short work will be undertaken and no larger diameter jobber-length drills will be used.

BTW, I have an LMS 5100.

When needing parts - check Grizzly

Their G8688 7x12 is a SIEG

Their G0765 7x14 is a Real Bull

Easiest way to distinguish SIEG and Real Bull is the saddle - "H" shaped on SIEG, Rectangular on Real Bull.

HF still sells a 7x12, they just don’t stock it in stores. It’s under powered IMO, but if you’re flush with HF gift cards (like I was) it’s a cheap starting point.

The time has finally come to start messing around with threading. I have a used lathe that arrived without the change gears, so I need to buy some.

Should I buy metal change gears or plastic gears?

I would buy the plastic, but LMS is out of stock on the full set. I'm a little concerned about using metal since the plastic gears should provide a failure point if / when I crash the carriage.

If plastic is the way to go, does anyone have a US source other than LMS? I'd like to buy from them, but their estimated availability date for the full set is unknown :(
Plastic will fail someday but is quite compared to metal gears.

You fine metal and plastic gears on Amazon and Walmart and lower prices.

You find most mini lathes are almost same just color changes and motors will different. That good news when looking for parts but still have to be careful I have some differences. If look at LMS site you see what the same and what is differences.

Some changes is the main power to spindle. 2 speed gears. Timing belt and now Poly-v-belt. Motors DC to brushless very old use single speed motor.

Dave

Back