• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Change gears for a newbie on a 7x10 HF lathe, metal or plastic?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cavediver

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The time has finally come to start messing around with threading. I have a used lathe that arrived without the change gears, so I need to buy some.

Should I buy metal change gears or plastic gears?

I would buy the plastic, but LMS is out of stock on the full set. I'm a little concerned about using metal since the plastic gears should provide a failure point if / when I crash the carriage.

If plastic is the way to go, does anyone have a US source other than LMS? I'd like to buy from them, but their estimated availability date for the full set is unknown :(

Cavediver

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member

old toolmaker

Concerning your choice of plastic vs metal I would strongly recommend the plastic gears. Plastic gears run quieter. Plastic gears need no lubrication which is a plus as lubrication such as oil or grease attracts and holds chips and dirt (this is an important point. Well adjusted plastic gears will last indefinitely I have not had any issues with them in over 6 years of frequent use.

Dick

[6]
5 [7]