Central machinery model 33686

McGuyvers shop

Registered
Registered
Hey, Does anyone have an opinion or any info about the Central Machinery tabletop milling machines? I got a chance locally to get a new "old" one from a retired guy at a furniture company here. He bought it several years ago for a project and never used it. Now that he is retiring, the machine has to go. I looked it up in Harbor Freight and it sells for $1499 now so the asking price of $650 seems too good to let it slip away. This one has a 2hp reversible motor where the ones on the website are showing a 1-1/2hp motor. I got the R8 collets and the machine..thats all. Would love to add a power feed, but I don't know if there are any kits out there that fit these mills. Any experience with this?

Hey, Does anyone have an opinion or any info about the Central Machinery tabletop milling machines? I got a chance locally to get a new "old" one from a retired guy at a furniture company here. He bought it several years ago for a project and never used it. Now that he is retiring, the machine has to go. I looked it up in Harbor Freight and it sells for $1499 now so the asking price of $650 seems too good to let it slip away. This one has a 2hp reversible motor where the ones on the website are showing a 1-1/2hp motor. I got the R8 collets and the machine..thats all. Would love to add a power feed, but I don't know if there are any kits out there that fit these mills. Any experience with this?

That's a hell of a deal. I basically have the same mill and it's worked great for 20 years!

I have no complaints except having to find my zero after I move the head up or down.

There are power feeds available. ENCO has one for less $300 I think and SHARS has them also for more money.

Here's mine after 20 years.

Mill 2 (Custom).JPG

Mill 2 (Custom).JPG View attachment 97956

It's the one I have. Added dro, power feed, vfd, and a gear motor to raise and lower the head. Oh by the way, the way I relocate my head back to the same place after I move it is easy. I mounted a laser to it, it points accrossed the shop and hits a wall 25 feet away. BEFORE I move my head I turn it on, walk accrossed the shop, put a square of masking tape on top the laser dot, then take a pen and X the center of the dot. Now it can be time consuming to relocate your head back, but it will land you within a couple thous. or less. Oh and jump on the mill.

I've had one for almost 15 years, bought it new for $799 IIRC, and shipping was free at the time! Even return shipping was free if I didn't like it when it arrived!

Turns out it was a good one. Table was flat end-to-end within 0.001". Still has only about 0.012" backlash on both wheels, although I only cut mostly aluminum. It's been a great milling machine for this newbie.

Just put a nice Dro Pros DRO on it a couple months ago, and shortly after found a nice Bridgeport. Will likely be selling my Mill/Drill once I get the Bridgeport tuned up.

Will try to sell it with the DRO, but will transplant it to the Bridgeport if not.

Back