Cdco 5c Collet Chuck

Well took a chance and just ordered one while thy are on sale.. Plain back so I can mount it myself and get it dialed in as close as possible. Hopefully I won't regret my purchase.

I have a 12 inch Jet older lathe. It has a threaded head stock. Can I use the D1-4 to mount a collet holder? I do have a plain plate that has the proper threads. Also I know the opening is big enough because when I purchased it years ago I made sure the internal diameter was large for the C5 collets. But now I want to do some projects that will require the accuracy of a collet rather than a three jar chuck.

Thanks

Jay Beckham

I have a 12 inch Jet older lathe. It has a threaded head stock. Can I use the D1-4 to mount a collet holder? I do have a plain plate that has the proper threads. Also I know the opening is big enough because when I purchased it years ago I made sure the internal diameter was large for the C5 collets. But now I want to do some projects that will require the accuracy of a collet rather than a three jar chuck.

Thanks

Jay Beckham

I'm a little confused here, does you lathe have a D1-4 or a threaded spindle? If you have a threaded spindle then I would use a MT to 5C adapter that goes in the the spindle hole and uses a draw bar to tighten, you could also get a plain back 5C collet chuck, and mount it on a backplate. If you have a D1-4 spindle, then you could go either way with a collet chuck or a spindle adapter. In either case, if you get a collet chuck, I recommend that you get a plain back and a backplate

I bought one of these, from CDCO, about a year ago and it's working out very well. I bought the back plate separate for a 1.5"X8 spindle and fit the chuck to the plate myself.
I think that most of the problems with these chucks is with the back plate fit. If you do it yourself it should turn out much better. This is one of my most used chucks now.

Al

Sorry to confuse. I don't have the D1-4 mounting. I have a large thread and a MT. I also have a back plate with the proper threads to fit the spindle. It is eight inches in diameter and has eight slotted holes around the plate. Sort of like this without the three threaded holes.
_faceplate_back.jpg

The slots are a bit rough. It does have several concentric grooves cut in it apparently to help you center a work piece.

Thanks

That looks more like a face plate. Not sure that would be a good mount. If the spindle hole is not a MT5 or larger, I think you will need to purchase a threaded backplate that will fit your spindle nose. Then mount a plain back collet chuck on that.

Jay, that is a faceplate not a back plate. A backplate is not going to have the 8 slots. you want a back plate to mount a chuck not a faceplate. I see Jim beat me to it.

michael

Back