Cdco 5c Collet Chuck

sanddan

Active User
Registered
Has anyone here used the CDCO 5C collet chuck? I know it won't be as good as a Bison but for a home hobbyist is this a decent option? The price at $160 for the chuck which includes the D1-4 mount is attractive, just not sure of the quality.

I have one, bought it used. Seems to be fine. There has been discussions on quality for this unit being sold by many vendors. It is either go for it, luck of the draw, or spend a lot more. The other question is whether it will be used enough to justify spending the big bucks.
Pierre

People seem to have a love or hate relationship with Frank over at CDCO. I bought my CXA QCTP and holders from him. It was cheaper than other imports from China, and it ships from Chicago so you don't have to play the "only worth a few bucks game" on customs forms. I thought the quality was fine, except for the soft screws, machining was actually pretty good.
I'd rate my experience as above average, but I've heard some people bad mouth them. Then again you don't know if they had unrealistic expectations.

Mike

His prices seem to be decent and the shipping from the US is a plus.

Who ever does his web site needs to use spell check though.

In my experience they frequently ship the wrong item, or a item that had been returned by previous customer. Protective packaging was not very good. They repeatedly sent me the same D1-4 backplate when I ordered a D1-3. On the third try they got it right only when I wrote on backplate I returned "do not ship this to me again".

Never was able to talk to anyone who knew squat about machine tools at their phone#

michael

Thanks for the feedback everyone. food for thought.

I purchase one from CDCO and it has very little run out and good quality.
It was well worth the price that I paid for it.

I bought one and mounted it on a 2 1/4 X 8 backplate. I was anal about fitting the backing plate to the chuck and it has minimual runout. It has become my go-to chuck for small work as the repeatability of collets is so good. I just got a new to me lathe with a D 1-5 mount and will buy another of these collet chucks and fit it to a D 1-5 adapter.

I have heard of the Chinese 5C chucks being full of chips and crud and not running true. But,I don't actually have one since my lathe has a built in 5C chuck.(Hardinge HLVH). Buying Chinese is always a bit of a gamble. I have sent back whole Bridgeport clone milling machines. not fun. Luckily it was at work,where the warehouse had fork lifts.

A member of this site did a nice wright up on truing that chuck up.

Back