1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

CBN Grinding Wheels

Discussion in 'TOOL GRINDERS & SURFACE GRINDERS' started by jbolt, Jul 21, 2017.

1. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

After my near catastrophic bench grinder incident I decided to try the CBN grinding wheels. I got my wheels from woodturnerswonders.com. I got the 80 grit and 350 grit 8" wheels based on their recommendation. The wheels are the 4 in 1 design with grit on part of the side and with 1/4" radius corners.

The wheels are absolutely beautiful.

At 1-1/4" wide they fit in the factory guards. I did have to make a 1/4" spacer to center the wheels in the guard.

20170721_181651.jpg 20170721_181629 (1).jpg 20170721_181644.jpg

All I can say about them is WOW! These things are awesome on HSS. As a test, I ground this 3/8" tool in about three minutes free hand. Not my best work but I wanted to see how well the wheels worked. I think I wet the tool twice. The 80 grit removes material like nobody's business with very little heat. Amazing.

20170721_181708.jpg

royesses, 4gsr, mikey and 1 other person like this.
  2. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

That is nice!
    Now I have to buy a 8" grinder!
    My 7" Baldor grinder will not take 8" wheels.:bawling:

EDIT: Wow! they are a little pricy! I'm sure they are well worth it in the long run.

3. dlane

dlane Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oroville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

How long do Cbn last, I thought cbn was for carbide grinding, do u dress them, are they diamond

4. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Ulma Doctor and 4gsr like this.
  5. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Generally speaking CBN wheels are for grinding on harden steels only. Such as most tool steels. I found out the hard way trying to sharpen some carbide endmills using a CBN wheel, it don't work! Not to say they don't have something for carbide. So far, I've only been able to use diamond matrix grinding wheels for grinding carbide.

dlane likes this.
  6. Kernbigo

Kernbigo United States Active User Active Member

City:
    so. beloit
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

diamond wheels are for carbide and cbn are for steel, i have used them to tread grind and od grind thread gages. One cut on a thread gage 3/8" 16 and one finish cut. .080 rough cut no burn.

7. Alan H

Alan H United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Spanish Fort
    State:
    Alabama

-Return to Top-

Yeap, not cheap.

I have a three of the 8" wheels from Woodturners Wonders. Turns out that their pricing is some of the best and the owner provides good customer service.

I use them to sharpen HSS woodturning tools and have also done some finish work on HSS tool bits for my metal lathe. A set are good assets in the shop. Must admit that most of my HSS toll bit grinding for my lathe is done on a KMG.

8. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Yes they are pricey but worth every penny in time saved.

I'm thrilled to death with these wheels. I have a pile of old cheap wood chisels left over from my construction business that were used(abused) for everything but their intended purpose. Kind of like flat bladed screw drivers. Some times the chisels would get roughly sharpened with a 4" angle grinder. It took too long on my 1800 rpm grinder so it was not worth my time. I would just buy another cheap one and throw the abused one in a box.

I recently needed a beater chisel to scrape some cement board so I gabbed one of the old abused ones out of the box and gave the CBN wheels a go instead of the angle grinder. Took less than 2 minutes to put a factory edge back on it and with very little heat. Theses wheels are amazing.

4gsr and f350ca like this.