Cart for furnace finished

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Finished up a project today. Put finishing touches on a cart for a furnace I picked up when a tool and die shop closed about an hour away. Wife is going to fuse glass in it and wanted it to be a comfortable height for loading and unloading. I picked up a metal cabinet at the local flea market but it was too low. The furnace specs. a minimum clearance to the walls when in use so it also needs to be mobil to reduce floor space waste when not in use. Built a base out of angle and sheet metal and put casters on it. Used square tubing to raise the cabinet to a comfortable height for the wife and welded it in place on the rolling base. It needed a handle so the cart could be pulled or pushed without using the furnace as a handle. Todays project was to make that handle. I like to repurpose things when possible so I took an old grill lid that was in the recycle pile and cut pieces of it off that held the grill lid handle. Milled the pieces to fit to the end of the cabinet and drilled mounting holes. Cut the tubing that served as the original grill lid handle to fit the new purpose. Painted it with a clean looking "smoke gray" Rustoleum enamel.

First photo shows one handle bolted in place and the other laying on top showing milled surfaces of the aluminum casting pieces from the grill. It was simple clean up and notch to fit work. No close dimensions. The hardest part was holding the pieces in the mill vise as they were cast and there were not many straight and smooth surfaces to hold onto.

The second photo shows the finished cart with handle castings and tubing in place.

The wife should enjoy. By the way I will too. The furnace in its other life was a heat treat furnace. I plan on making some tooling and using it for its original designed purpose. Must learn more first.

Benny

Cart handle 001.jpg Cart finished004.jpg

OK, lets move her to the basement, I heard about a few good machines just a mile or a 100 down the road and were gonna need the floor space:lmao: looks good by the way.

Back