Carriage lock mod for (LMS) 8.5 X 16 HiTorque Bench Lathe (Similar to Sieg SC4 Lathe) This lathe has a carriage lock but taking a picture of it installed is impossible because it is mid-way under the carriage. The best view of it can be found on the exploded parts diagram in the (LMS 8.5x16 Lathe Users Guide.pdf). Ref items #231 (Bridled press plate) and #201(Press plate) For those that might want to duplicate this mod, I obtained the material and some parts from McMaster-CARR. 8910K388 Low-Carbon Steel Bar, 3/8” Thick, ¾” Width, ½’Length 98867A265 Positioning Stud, M6X1 Thread, 47.5mm Length Overall 60235K62 Die Cast Zinc Contemporary Style Adjustable Handle, M6X1 Thread To lock the original carriage lock required a hex wrench and getting to it was not the easiest and blocked by the Compound Rest sometimes. Putting an adjustable handle in the original lock location would also cause interference problem with the Cross Slide gib screw/nut running into it. Also there was a minor problem with the two screws for the Press Plate, if the screws where tightened it would cause the carriage to be locked/hard to move. There is no information concerning the screws in the user guide, my guess is the Press Plate will wear itself in like the gib slides do and the screws will need to be checked on occasion to make sure their lightly snug until they wear in. Note there are two Press Plates on the carriage one on the left side area of the carriage and one on the right side area of the carriage I’m only making a new Press Plate for the right side area. Two problems with doing this mod. Getting the Press Plate and Bridled Press Plate out & into the slotted area of the carriage without dropping them into the carriage box. I used a pensile magnet to prevent this from happening and I also made the new Press Plate with the step and inboard M5 screw location drilled/tapped with the raw stock 2 – ½ inch long to back mark the second hole, after drilling/tapping the M4 second hole the new press plate was cut to length. Also when I drilled the right hand M4 fastener hole in the carriage casting to accommodate the M6 stud, I didn’t want to disassemble the carriage and to prevent drilling grit from getting into the carriage box I used a vacuum and rag in the slot area to prevent the grit from going in there. The original Bridled Press Plate was relocated to the right hand out board hole location and the M5 tapped hole in it was enlarged to M6 tapped hole. Also on final installation I found I need to shorten the M6 stud by approximately .15 inches to clear the carriage box.