carbide router bits

Plumber

Active User
Registered
Hey y'all I just tripped over another "cheap" turning bit, 1/2" shanked straight sided carbide router bits that the master woodworkers say are dull or beyond them sharpening again. For the heck of it I put one in my bxa holder and tried it out and was nicely surprised it cuts a beautiful .001-to-.003 cut with no sanding or filing to get (imho) a great finish. I tried it on steel, brass, stainless steel and aluminum worked great at 700rpm's and slow to slow + on my logan. It didn't seem to like copper though... Just thought I'd pass this on for I haven't seen anything on using them in the tooler holder short of (I think it was Frank Ford) that told about using carbide circ. saw blades for cut-offs...Just saw a section of the blade to fit your cut-off holder...btw if you haven't been to Frank's pages check them out he has a bunch of neat tips and tricks....Jack......(Plumber)

It's nice to see someone else doing this. Sets I have are 1/4" shank. I've ground a flat on a few of them to clamp on. One makes a nice V cut. Another cuts a nice radius. I've only used them in mystery metal, with very light cuts and manual feed.

Bill

Back