Carbide Inserts

kingmt01

Registered
Registered
Carbide or any inserts makes my head hurt trying to understand them. I'm not only overwhelmed with the information but also overcome by the price on most of them.

I usually use the cheap brazed on tools that I reshape & sharpen or HSS. I don't cut many threads without a tap & die set but those get pricy for one of jobs & sometimes I don't have time to get the correct one. I also hate to grind a inside threading tool. & lastly I'm cheap.

After just having to cut a inside thread I was looking at eBay & found these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291643157405&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221984723470&alt=web

What can you tell me about these? Looks like I get a cutting edge for about a buck a piece with these so it seems worth while.

I know a few guys like the ones in the first link with the holder. The other ones I know nothing about.

I believe that both the inserts are the same size & style. Range of 16-48TPI
.25 I.C. (Inscribed Circle)

I just picked up some of the 11IR AG60 inserts (and 16IR and 16ER AG60) from eBay seller zimi-hk. No issues at all with them. 11's are I believe 1/4", 16's are 3/8". IR is internal RH thread, ER is external RH thread. The AG60 has a range of something like 8 - 48 tpi as mentioned above. I received my order from zimi-hk in less than two weeks. I've got a post on the POTD thread showing the 16IR AG60 in action on a 1.25 mm pitch job in 303 stainless. Insert worked fine, went 0.003" on the radius per pass.

I don't know about the ones from isratools. If I'm reading their chart correctly they appear to be for 1.25 mm pitch threads. Seems like they would work for different pitch threads, don't know if the tip is flatted somewhat for the width of a 1.25 mm pitch thread. I'd go with the AG60 inserts.

Good luck!

Bruce

The first auction lists ag60 but the package says a60:

s-l1600.jpg

Ag60 is 8-48 tpi from what I can find and a60 is 16-48. Might make a difference if you ever want to do something like cut adapter plate threads for an atlas lathe or such.

You have to look at eBay auctions very very very closely and ask lots of questions before hitting "buy".

Personally, I ordered up the 3\8 ag60 kit from the same seller for a few bucks more. Anything smaller and I'm just going to grab a tap and run it through. I'd rather have threading tools for BIG thread sizes as those taps and dies get really expensive per unit. Plus, I've got an atlas and will need to make a Chuck adapter plate for it in the near future so I need that 8 tpi option.

Don't take my word as gospel though, I'm about as noob as it gets to cutting threads...

:)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The tool I just ground was to cut a 10mm 1.0 that I didn't have a flat bottom tap for. That is what got me looking for a tool to have on hand. Thanks for the info guys. I'll dig in a little deeper before I order.

Any thing else to help me understand what I'm looking for?

Back