Carbide Inserts

To my experience, TP inserts are always used in holders that present the cutting edge at a positive rake, hence the "P" (positive). They would be ill advised in any low power frail machine, be it a mill or lathe. Negative rake tools are even worse for suchlike machines. The best advice is what several of the other folks have commented; learn to grind HSS tools! I warrant that with low powered machines that lack ridgidity that HSS will take off the material just as fast as carbide. That said, the C5 grade is for cutting steel. Proper holders for the TP inserts genreally have adjustable chip breakers to help break up the chips, but speed and feed combinations facilitate this also.

To my experience, TP inserts are always used in holders that present the cutting edge at a positive rake, hence the "P" (positive). They would be ill advised in any low power frail machine, be it a mill or lathe. Negative rake tools are even worse for suchlike machines. The best advice is what several of the other folks have commented; learn to grind HSS tools! I warrant that with low powered machines that lack ridgidity that HSS will take off the material just as fast as carbide. That said, the C5 grade is for cutting steel. Proper holders for the TP inserts genreally have adjustable chip breakers to help break up the chips, but speed and feed combinations facilitate this also.

Thanks, Ben...

I will probably stick to HSS, which is what I use now. I just liked the idea of trying a pre-ground insert, and since I already owned them...

Resurrecting a very old thread:

I have (salvaged from a dump of out of date inserts) about 40 packs of 10 of Valenite VC 4 Coated TNG 334 B inserts. (Unused)

I'll sent them to anyone for cost of shipping, how many packs do you want? Hobby uses are minimal, but if you've got a contract for cast iron removal, these'll do the job.

My MP1030 can't use them. PM me, I'll see you get what you need.

Back