Carbide inserts a bit like glass

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I was skinning down a 2" long piece 1/4" bronze rod. I got careless (spelled in a hurry) and bumped a Ceratizit insert into it with too much DOC. I heard a ping and low behold it had chipped. These inserts cut great and they are known for good finishing but I need to remember to treat them more carefully. This was the second time I had fractured this insert, so it is now on to chamfering service.

Of course I don't know where the little fractured out chip went but I bet it was moving fast. This is a good reminder why one wears safety glasses.

Subject inserts:
IMG_20170917_164929.jpg
The fracture:
IMG_20170916_152605.jpg
Fresh one replaced it:
IMG_20170916_154330.jpg

What is the unit cost of those Ceratizit inserts?

Wow nice macro photography! That's pretty impressive in its self.

What is the unit cost of those Ceratizit inserts?

Nez, they cost me ~ $60 delivered for the box of 10 on ebay. They came from Bulgaria as I remember. Nice inserts good for slow speed finishing and cover a fairly broad spectrum of materials.

Discovered them from a tip given to me by a friend of ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow nice macro photography! That's pretty impressive in its self.
Thanks, I cheat. I have a work table microscope (soldering and such) and a Google mobile phone (Huawei) that I use for all my photos. The phone's camera has replaced my real camera.

The microscope is handy to check cutting edges and I use it often for that. I have been using it for HSS bit grinding to see what kind of edge I am getting.

Nez, they cost me ~ $60 delivered for the box of 10 on ebay. They came from Bulgaria as I remember. Nice inserts good for slow speed finishing and cover a fairly broad spectrum of materials.

Discovered them from a tip given to me by a friend of ours.

Yeah, the high positive ground & polished aluminum specific inserts break very easily with impact.

I'm cheap when it comes to inserts. I won't pay more than $5 per insert (including shipping) with the exception of some speciality inserts I use.

$2- $3 per insert is what I normally pay. When you run out, try these, way cheaper so it won't "hurt" as much if/when you do accidentially break one.

They name brand, Korloy, but from China. Who knows if they are fake, just speculating cause they're so cheap. I haven't used any of these specifically yet but I have used others from them & I can't tell a difference from my real Korloy inserts. I do have the CCGTs from them but I'm still going through my Ingersol CCGT inserts. I got them on average for $130 per box (each box has 50 inserts) & I have like 3 boxes of them still.

I don't know why I keep buying inserts. I seriously probably have way more inserts to last well beyond my lifetime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-CCGT09T304-AK-H01-CCGT3-2-5-1-AK-H01-for-Aluminum-copper-KORLOY/292005680427?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Back