Canned (compressed) Air In The Shop

Rangemaster1

Gunsmith
Registered
Today I was drilling and tapping some holes in my mini mill for a DRO setup. While doing so I was using a can of compressed air, the kind they clean off computer keyboards with. It occurred to me that many newbies may not be aware of the many uses for it in the shop. I primarily use it for clearing or cleaning small projects where firing up my big compressor wouldn't be either practical or economical. I find it most useful when blowing chips out of blind holes. The tiny tube fits inside most of the holes I drill and tap much easier than trying to clear them with a strong blast of air, and I'm not blowing junk all over the shop. It can be used to chill parts for a tight fit or for making a soft material machinable. Hopefully many more uses will pop up on this thread real soon. I'll try to post a couple of pics later.

I use mine a lot for clearing out threads and blind holes. Just make sure to stand back though or you'll get chips in your hair! Turned upside down it is an excellent refridgerant.

When The can is empty you can recharge it. Look at SixtyfiveFords YouTube page, he shows you how to do it with a recycled tire valve stem.
If you try this please make sure your compressor regulator is turned down to 40 pounds or less.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas JP

I use it too. The other problem I have run into is that a bittering agent is typically added. If you get any liquid out of the can be sure you don't touch your mouth. Hard to get the taste out and very annoying.
R

If you really want to cool a part off quickly, just hold the can upside down. It works just like the "Freeze-it" type cans. In fact, both are pretty much the same stuff, one just has a long pickup tube to spary the liquid instead of the gas.

My compressor usually has air in it, pump it up every week and its good to go. I do have a refillable aerosol can I fill with WD40, very handy to have.

I have some cans but rarely need them for just blowing off stuff. I just keep the compressor on all the time. It cycles every couple of days if I am not using it so not too wasteful. If I do have to shut it down, it takes about 20 min to get back to full pressure.

I have some cans but rarely need them for just blowing off stuff. I just keep the compressor on all the time. It cycles every couple of days if I am not using it so not too wasteful. If I do have to shut it down, it takes about 20 min to get back to full pressure.

I should probably clarify my previous post regarding "firing up my compressor".

My compressor is always at full pressure. I have a ball valve at the outlet so the air can easily be turned on . By using the canned air it eliminates compressor cycling due to minor air loss in the system. When I need high pressure for something, it goes on and stays on until the job is finished.

Back