Can You Use A Dead Center

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
in the tailstock if you're turning aluminum?

That's how they used to do it. They'd put a dab of grease on a dead center before live centers were common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's what you have, of course you can use it. We used to lubricate it with white lead. White lead is a grease, don't know if you can get it now. White moly will suffice.

"Billy G"

Ooops, would never have thought. What size is the grit?

A while back, I heard antisieze was abrasive too so I looked into it. Antisieze is typically made from two components, a grease and a solid lubricant. The idea is that the grease prevents sticking below 400 degrees but if temps rise above that then the solid components, typically copper or aluminum, step in to prevent sticking/galling. The compounds with copper and aluminum "may be" abrasive; I couldn't find an article to support this claim. To get around the possibility they make antisieze without metallic or carbon (graphite) solid components that are non-abrasive when broken down.

The bottom line is that not all antisieze has abrasion potential but to my knowledge it also does not have load bearing capacity (the grease melts out at 400 degrees) to be used as a lube for a dead center.

So, good thought Toz, but no go.

I have used Never Seize brand nickel based high temp for dead center lube, and have had no problems. However, on aluminum, I'd think there would be problems with just about anything except a pure, EP grease. Even then, low speed and careful attention to speed and the heat generated would be critical, since aluminum has a high CoE.

Loctite LB8012 works pretty well. It doesn't have any metals in it. Like Tony says, keep the speeds low.

Ted

I tried STP from a decades-old can on a dead center while turning aluminum once. It worked but I had to stop and adjust the tailstock twice. My answer is a live center.

Back